Computer wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorno83

Hi,

My computer will not boot up. I disabled auto restart on system failure and received this error message.
The technical information reads

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86D472E0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I know i could prob fix it with the recovery disk but here is the deal I am currently in Iraq and I am getting ready to head home and I already sent my recovery disk home.
My comp is a HP Pavilion dv4040us
running windows XP home edition.

dorno83

You may have a memory failure of any of a dozen things. What you showed with the "***STOP message is the results of the memory dump. You likely have a memory or other hardware error, or a driver error that requires an update of the driver via a download.
Likely: memory error, hard drive error, other hardware error, driver error... all taking some time to track down and fix or eliminate as a cause.

Ok thanks for explaining the problem I am having.

I will check all the memory locations to make sure they are still secure.

as far as the driver error, ( which i believe is the problem) how would i go about figuring that one out?

Hey there

Don't mean to interfere in the thread but can you boot up in Safe Mode? Also, do you have your Windows CD with you to be able to do a Repair (Chkdsk)? What are your system specs? When do you get a BSOD on boot up? Try testing your RAM with Memtest ... www.memtest.org ...

Get back to us with any results or details.

Spyder_1386 :)

The problem is that you cannot boot, so you do not really have a staring point. So see if it will boot in <SAFE MODE> by repeatedly pressing the <F8> key once per second just as soon as you press the <ON> button. But you may have a memory failure or a hard drive failure which requires more technical work.
If lucky, this will take you to a fundamental boot of Windows, with a very low resolution. This will allow you to run various tests and fixes, but will be difficult to see because the resolution is down to something like 600 X 400... But then you can try some other fixes.
Fixing a problem like this can be a long and irritating process... slowly checking every thing.. If you have a commercial computer such as a Dell, HP, Lenovo, Gateway, Alienware, Sony... etc... you check for drives, then download and install each one that has a date more recent than the date you got the computer.
First thing to do, though (assuming you have a Windows XP computer and Safe Mode works) is to go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager to see if there are any red or yellow flags on any of the devices on that list... those flags will indicate a failure of that hardware component, indicating a replacement is required, or it could mean you need to download and update the drivers for the device listed.
After that, please get back to us.

You may have a memory failure of any of a dozen things. What you showed with the "***STOP message is the results of the memory dump. You likely have a memory or other hardware error, or a driver error that requires an update of the driver via a download.

Huh??? :confused:

First off, stop 0x00000024 errors are almost always related to ntfs issues on your disk drive (And would suggest one easy thing to do is remove your disk filters. I'll have to provide an update to this post to tell you how (no time now). Or someone else reading might be able to so before i can)

Second, there's sooo many software / data/ corruption issues that can be the root cause of your issues i don't think starting off with a hardware witch hunt makes much sense. (Especially as you have a stop 0x0000024 error which more indicates data corruption then hardware)

Now, granted, one thing i've learned is the 100% thing you can be sure of when Windows troubleshooting is nothing is 100% for sure. But at least start in the direction of where the clues are pointing you.

By the way.. do you run 32- or 64 bit Windows? Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows

And as an example of a first troubleshooting step: why don't you just google something like xp Stop 0x00000024 (0x0019033d

Those problems Looking Around describes are usually with Windows Server editions and with X64 machines. It can be hard drive NTFS issues but not commonly so.
We still need your computer and hardware configuration to helpfully adivise you

Those problems Looking Around describes are usually with Windows Server editions and with X64 machines. It can be hard drive NTFS issues but not commonly so.
We still need your computer and hardware configuration to helpfully adivise you
What???? :confused: :confused:

Raybay.. first go take the time to read about stop codes and then try telling me what it is. Stop codes and the error parameters which follow are there for a purpose!

I do not have the windows disk. I sent it home already, I have a HP Pavilion DV4040us XP homeedition

and how do you remove disk filters

And the computer will not boot up in anything just flashes the blue screen with that stop code and restarts

dorno83

Will take some time before i have a chance to look things up and reply with any more detail/instructions for you. But for now let me offer some info so it's completely understood and clear (and readers should use the data in a Stop message to help them look for the cause for their specific Stop error)

1. So first lemme quote from Microsoft's Technical Reference for XP
Stop Messages for Disks and File Systems

When Windows XP Professional detects an error from which it cannot recover, it reports error information in full screen, non-windowed, text mode. These Stop messages, which are also referred to as stop errors or blue screens, provide information that is specific to the problem detected by the Windows XP Professional kernel.

File system errors, viruses, hard disk corruption, or controller problems can cause the following Stop messages.
Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

This Stop message, also known as Stop 0x24, indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, which is the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS volumes.
So, again, while the "ain't nuthin 100% for sure when it comes to computers" philosophy still holds, one should at least start by focusing on where all the initial evidence is currently pointed

2. Since your system isn't booting, fixing it forces one of two approaches. Either
  • You'll need to be able to download and burn some recovery disks on someone else's computer (so you can then use it to boot up on your own machine) and/or
  • You'd need to be able to remove your hard disk and put it inside another computer or in an external enclosure so you could boot from someone else's computer and then use that computer to analyze/fix your hard disk
Are either of these an option for you?

I should be able to download and burn some recovery disks on someone else's computer.

However im actually trying to figure that out right now. any help would be great

OK. Well here's a link to raw data / info that might help (i.e. raw = i haven't had time to interpret to your particular case)

also.. fyi.. if XP was running normally would be easy to remove disk filters by simply using a script.. I'll have to look closer for either registry edit instructions or another method to apply for your specific case since XP won't boot to run the normal script

Are you familiar with using the Windows Recovery Console? very helpful but be careful you know which commands you are using. Would definitely suggest you start out by running
Code:
[B]chkdsk /r [/B]
to verify filesystem integrity. AND fyi... chkdsk can take a looong time to run.. so DON"T assume it's hanging unless you give the screen a minimum 30+minutes before you think it's not gonna change (it can run for hours on a large hard drive to compete!
As for recovery CDs
Windows Recovery Console
Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD
The 3rd boot cd link removed by author

/* EDIT1 */
1. Here's another reference link (actually is the one i was looking to give you as well at start of thread but couldn't find it till just now)
2. Note when they talk about "checking for compatibility" i believe they are really talking about filter compatibility issues (which if a filter is installed that's not compatible with your drive will cause problems)
3. fyi.. i usually refer people to <snip> link removed by author <snip> but appears the site is down??? I don't want to point you to a torrent (tho you can find those easily) so am uploading an .iso image for you. Will post the link when completes. Hope you can get a good and steady connection for the download
4. And last, certainly not least, thank you for being in Iraq

i am currently downloading hiren9.8

It does take awhile because our internet does suck. but hopefully it will make it through.

Ill keep you posted on how i make out once it finishes and i can get it burnt to a cd

Make certain the file is has an .iso extension.(i.e. you may need to uncompress the file first)

I would look under the various methods of "copying" things in Nero. As basically you just need Nero to read the .iso and copy/burn it's content to CD.

If nero is giving you a pull down to select what you want to copy from hard drive be sure to check if the FileType pulldown might be selectable and can be changed to indicate .iso.

Or just search iso in your online docs. Am certain you'll find it listed

either one of two things
Either
1) you are as you say having a problem creating a boot cd OR
2) you've created boot cds but your system isn't setup correctly to boot from them

Have you tried using any of the cds to boot from anyone else's computer (verify they are bootable)
Have you ever booted your computer from a cd before?
Do you know how to check your BIOS settings to allow for CD boot?

Will check a few and post back (may be helpful to first prove those cds are all bootable from someone elses computer who has used a boot cd before)

1) I assume you are trying to boot from your internal CD drive? Yes? you're not trying an external CD drive connected by USB?

2) Make sure the boot order is set correctly in your BIOS. see here

/* EDIT */

We can verify the integrity of any disk burned.. or the integrity of the downloaded .iso file itself.

Download install Hashtab. Then simply rt click on a any file, select Properties->FileHashes. Copy/Paste the MD5 hash value into a post and tell me the filename. I can compare it to mine so we know they are identical match.

So, for example, Windows Recovery Console downloads
rc.iso with an MD5 hash value CEDB277EAF09D4CC3CA2825F125C0A01

If you downloaded the right file and it's not corrupted you should also get the same MD5 hash value

Alright the answer to your questions.

Yes im having trouble creating the boot cd. Do i have to do all that special stuff through nero9 or can i just create a data disk.
I downloaded the hash tab
and looked at the md5 hash value and its the same as yours.

i tried burning the CD using the Nero ROM cd(boot) option. but when i go to look at the contents of the disk when im done there is nothing on there.

Heres all the info in my bios

Notebook model: Pavilion dv4000 (PX302UA#ABA)
System Board ID: 09BC
Processor type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M CPU
Processor Speed: 1733MHz
Total Memory: 1024 MB
Video memory up to: 128MB
BIOS Version: F.16
Serial Number: CNE51509JZ
UUID Number: 9d4b7840ac5e11d9
9b2d947656aeeef3

I just need one of those files right. The rc.iso file or the Hiren2.iso

it should be a simple matter to burn iso's in Nero but that said let me just point you here for how to do it (with a freeware tool)

Am about to run out but when i return i'll post the MD5 hash sums for the other 2 download disks as well (so we know your download was also good)

The 3 disks vary in the set of recovery tools contained on each disk.

>> Some tools happen to be common and can be found all 3 disks ( I haven't checked is most likely chkdsk command will be found on all 3. and chdsk /r is the first command you should be using to attempt recovery

>> So, in generalit can be helpful to have all 3 disks available for use. Tho whether you actually need all 3 remains to be determined.

For now, I'll assume the one you downloaded so far is Windows Recovery Console. For now, try to get it burned (per instructions in last post) and let's try to get your system to boot from it. Once you burn it on friends computer you should be able to look at its contents on friends computer to see the normal folder/files listed as you're used to seeing.

Then you want to move it to your computer and try to boot from it.

alright i got the disk burnt using the iso recorder (i burnt the rc.iso file to it).

set my bad laptop to boot from the cdrom first and still nothing.

i can open the disk and see the files on it.

I really do appreciate the time ur spending on this with me. normally i would just wait till i got back so i can get my recovery disk. but i have alot of important info on the comp i need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back