Paint Shop Pro file associations don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brighter Hell

I just installed Jasc Paint Shop Pro onto my computer again after formatting a partition and installing Windows. I've associated jpg images with Paint Shop Pro mainly for editing images taken with my camera. But when I click on a file in Windows Explorer Paint Shop Pro opens but it doesn't open the file. It just gives me the browser with the sample images folder open. This browser doesn't open when I just open the program, only when I'm trying to open an image straight from Windows.

I know there's a way to make clicking on the file in Windows actually open the program and the file, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I even looked in the help menu and it tells me to do exactly what I did...doesn't work. I'm probably missing something that's blatantly obvious, anyone want to point it out? Thanks.

How did you associate the filetypes with PSP? Just try doing it again using the PSP configuration options.

right-click on any file.jpg and select "Open with". Select your PSP program from the list and check "always use this program"

I've already done all that. I've associated the files in PSP under Preferences, and in Windows using Open With. Didn't work. poertner - I'm using Windows 2000 so Open With comes up every time I right click. I almost always open files straight from Windows so it's a handy feature.

This worked for me, from the Corel site

I know this is an old thread but I found an answer.

You have to follow these instructions to the letter.
You have to use the search tool at the Corel / Jasc web site (I can't post the link yet)
The actual title of the article is
Right Click | Open With not working with Paint Shop Pro
...but I can't go back and search and find it. I'll post the instructions for versions 8 and 9, which is all they give. My version is 7.04 and it worked for me.

--This requires admin and knowledge of how to edit the registry. If you don't have this you need to get the admin to do it for you. If you are an admin but don't know how to edit the registry, find a friendly local geek.

Version 8 (worked for version 7.04)
1. Close Paint Shop Pro.
2. Click on Start > Run
3. In the RUN dialog box, erase anything that is currently in the Open: field, and then Type in regedit and click Ok.
4. This will open the Registry Editor.
5. When the Registry Editor opens, click Registry > Export Registry File (Windows XP users click on File > Export), choose a filename and location to save the file, and then click the save button to save the file. The program will automatically add a REG extension on to the specified filename. This file can serve as a backup if necessary. After this backup procedure, we can move on to deleting the particular registry key.
6. Begin by Clicking the plus sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. You will see a list of KEYS drop down underneath this KEY.
7. Scroll down until you find a KEY named Applications. Click on the plus sign next to Applications.
8.You will see a list of KEYS drop down underneath the Applications KEY. Locate the KEY named Paint Shop Pro.exe
9. Right Mouse click the Paint Shop Pro.exe (psp.exe) KEY and then left click on the Delete option in the right click menu.
10. Scroll the Registry Editor up and click the minus sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
11. Next, click the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
12. You should see a list of folders drop down below HKEY_CURRENT_USER, one of which will be named Software, click the Plus next to the Software KEY.
13. Under the Software KEY you should find a folder named Jasc. Right Mouse Click the Jasc folder and Left Click on Delete. After you've deleted the Jasc folder you can close the Registry Editor.
14. Do NOT attempt to use the Right Click Open With function yet, if you do you will need to repeat the entire procedure. Open Paint Shop Pro 8. When the program is opening you will be presented with a File Format Associations dialog box. Select the file types you would like Paint Shop Pro 8 to be associated with, if you do not want Paint Shop Pro associated with a particular type uncheck the box for that file type. After you've made your selection click Ok, DO NOT click Cancel, if you do you will need to repeat the procedure. Once you've clicked Ok and Paint Shop Pro 8 is open, close the program.

Attempt to use the Right click > Open With > Paint Shop Pro 8. It should properly open Paint Shop™ Pro® and display your image.

Paint Shop Pro 9:

1. Close Paint Shop™ Pro®.
2. Click on Start > Run
3. In the RUN dialog box, erase anything that is currently in the Open: field, and then Type in regedit and click OK.
4. This will open the Registry Editor.
5. When the Registry Editor opens, click Registry > Export Registry File (Windows XP users click on File > Export), choose a filename and location to save the file, and then click the save button to save the file. The program will automatically add a REG extension on to the specified filename. This file can serve as a backup if necessary. After this backup procedure, we can move on to deleting the particular registry key.
6. Begin by Clicking the plus sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. You will see a list of KEYS drop down underneath this KEY.
7. Scroll down until you find a KEY named Applications. Click on the plus sign next to Applications.
8.You will see a list of KEYS drop down underneath the Applications KEY. Locate the KEY named Paint Shop Pro 9.exe
9. Click the plus sign next to the Paint Shop Pro 9.exe KEY. You will see a Shell KEY listed underneath this KEY.
10. Click the plus sign next to the Shell KEY. You will see an Open KEY listed underneath this KEY.
11. Click the plus sign next to the Open KEY. You will see ddeexec KEY listed underneath this KEY.
12. Click the Plus next to the ddeexec KEY. You will see an Application KEY listed underneath this KEY.
13. Click on the Application KEY to highlight it.
14. On the right side pane, you will note a header labeled Default. Double left click on Default to open an Edit String dialog.
15. It should have a Value data of Paint Shop Pro. Change this to Paint Shop Pro 9 (adding a space and the number 9 to the end of Paint Shop Pro).
16. Click OK to accept
17. Close the Registry Editor by clicking the X in the upper right corner.

Attempt to use the Right click > Open With > Paint Shop Pro 9. It should properly open Paint Shop™ Pro® and display your image.

Rich W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back