CPU Cooler For Phenom II X3 720 BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi everybody!

I'm getting myself a Phenom II X3 720 BE this coming week along with an AM3 motherboard. I intend to overclock, but after a few days. What CPU cooler would work with an AM3 socket? I have been reading in a few places that even without OCing the temps are pretty high with the stock cooling.

I live in India and my options would probably be limited to Cooler Master. However, I'd like to know what other brands I could consider.

Thanks.

Check out www.frozencpu.com, they are based out of NY but I'm pretty sure they ship worldwide. They have a decent selection of socket AM3 coolers from Cooler Master to Zalman. Most are in stock.

I think I might get the OCZ Vendetta / Vendetta II. I'll find out in a few hours. However, do you think it would fit in my Cooler Master CM690 case?

EDIT : Just found out. OCZ Vendetta II is available. (At a monstrous price ofcourse.)

i do, the Vendetta series is not one of the larger HS/F out there. how much do they get for it?

Roughly translated the Vendetta II is about 55$. However, they say I will get a discount when I actually go to pick it up.

And I've been reading that the Vendetta 2 is pretty big and will cover the first and second memory slots on the mobo. Do you think its a good idea with the ASUS M4A78T-E.

I also asked about the Vendetta I. I don't think its available.

Ok. But is the Vendetta II a better option than Vendetta I? However, it won't probably matter as I won't get theVendetta I. And what about the Vanquisher?

The way things seem to be going with my new build, I'll be broke sooner than later! :p

If the Vendetta\Vanquisher are too expensive, consider the easily-available (here at least) Zalman CNPS9700 and the CNPS9500A. The latter will probably be cheaper since it's a 92mm cooler, while the former is a 110mm one.

Well Rage, from the pricing I've been seeing on the internet, the OCZ Vendetta II is a cheaper option than the Zalmans.

Over and above, I can't find a distributor for Zalman here in India.

Roughly translated the Vendetta II is about 55$. However, they say I will get a discount when I actually go to pick it up.

And I've been reading that the Vendetta 2 is pretty big and will cover the first and second memory slots on the mobo. Do you think its a good idea with the ASUS M4A78T-E.

I also asked about the Vendetta I. I don't think its available.

$55 isn't too bad of a price...for air cooling you're almost going to expect to pay that much for decent results. I bought the AC Freezer 7's which at the time was around $39...wonder how it would stack up against the Vendetta? They look somewhat similar in design...

The Freezer is inferior in performance, owing to the larger 120mm fan and greater number of fins on the Vendetta 2.

I figured as much. As it suits my needs at the moment, a definate upgrade is in the works when I move to the i7 (or maybe time I check out what AMD has to offer ;) )

Ok guys. I know this thread's a little old but a doubt has resurfaced in my mind. I was planning to get the Vendetta II tomorrow so I decided to do some more reading on it. And my concerns over it covering my first 2 RAM slots on the mobo increased. This is what I read : http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ocz_vendetta_2/5.htm

It says that it's especially true for AMD chipsets. Red has already clarified in a prior post that the fins start at 41mm above the base and so it shouldn't actually interfere. However, I'm a little worried as after buying it I shall not be able to return the product if it does cause such an issue.

Do help out.

Thanks.

And I'd also like to be absolutely sure that my Coolermaster CM690 will be able to house the OCZ Vendetta II.

the Coolermaster CM690 will house that cooler just fine and if you doubt it about covering the ram just bend the fins upward a little it wont hurt the cooler and it will give you a little more clearance above the ram sticks.

Rit,
if your concerned about it, cut yourself a piece of cardboard that is 41mm in lenght, set it on the top of the cpu, and see if it clears the memory module.

41mm in length Red? I thought the OCZ Vendetta II was 120mm in length...Do you mean a cardboard 120mm in length and 41mm in height?

no, 41mm to make sure that the bottom cooling fins clear the memory modules
the Vendetta II is 157mm tall and 120mm wide( with fan attached)

ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

I currently have 9970 nt and its good ;) This new version should be much better.

Thanks mancream. But as I've already mentioned earlier the Zalman is not available where I stay. So the Vendetta II seems to best fit my budget (and maybe my case too)? ;)

Have you tried any overclocking with the stock cooler yet? My 710 runs very cool, maxing out at 47 Celsius, even with Intel Burnt Test, and a 30 degree ambient temperature. Of course this is at stock voltage, and I'm not sure how much increasing voltages would affect the temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back