FSF launches anti-Windows 7 assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The Free Software Foundation is taking measures to deter IT decision makers from installing Windows 7. The foundation contacted 499 of the top Fortune 500 companies (Microsoft being the one excluded), and warned that upgrading to Windows 7 will result in a higher dependency on Microsoft. Instead, they encourage that the companies use GNU/Linux on systems.

The FSF has created a website, Windows7sins.org, where they make their case against Microsoft and proprietary software with a list of seven deadly sins. The list in full: invading privacy, poisoning education, locking users in, abusing standards, leveraging monopolistic behavior, enforcing DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and threatening user security.

The non-profit organization is requesting donations to cover the cost of sending letters. If you care to fuel the fire, a $25 donation will support 50 letters and $100 will put 200 letters on the doorsteps of the decision makers.

Permalink to story.

Wow, apparently Bill Gates is the anti-Christ... Who knew?
I mean, I'm generally anti-Microsoft, but somebody forgot to take their meds and decided to make an activist group, I think.

How much do I pay to have someone go back and take the letters off those doorsteps?

LOL...conclusive proof that there a significant amount of people out there who clearly have too much time on their hands. :p

LOL that is so stupid. I could see the use of Linux on their servers...but not on their workstations. It would involve WAY too much training to get all the thousands of your employees familiar with linux, because lets be honest...Who really uses linux? Not the regular every day normal guy. USUALLY only people with a high level of tech experience would even consider using linux. I bet you 90% of those employees in those fortune 500 companies own Windows Vista on their home PC. Why not upgrade to Windows 7? It will save millions in training just to upgrade to 7.

Wow, ok this is extremely pathetic. Linux is whole new thing and only most tech enthusiasts know what it is. Windows is installed on more then 90% of computers you see, Schools, Businesses, its everywhere and the most common that everyone knows.

Well actually, the longer the M$ corporation exists, the more dependent on it we all become.

M$ enhances that by trying to introduce proprietary file systems and propaganda.

The rest of the software industry panders to them by mostly offering programs compatible with Windows.

However, the question is that of attrition, rather than being able to precisely blame any one M$ OS as being the capstone of the monopoly..
Wow, apparently Bill Gates is the anti-Christ... Who knew?
I mean, I'm generally anti-Microsoft, but somebody forgot to take their meds and decided to make an activist group, I think.
Much in the same way Steve Jobs presents himself as a godhead and Svengali, Bill Gates is the anti-Christ, where have you been?

The Free Software Foundation is taking measures to deter IT decision makers from installing Windows 7. The foundation contacted 499 of the top Fortune 500 companies (Microsoft being the one excluded), and warned that upgrading to Windows 7 will result in a higher dependency on Microsoft. Instead, they encourage that the companies use GNU/Linux on systems.
https://www.techspot.com/news/35978-fsf-launches-antiwindows-7-assault.html

Believe it or not, I think they really mean well!

Linux, the Baby Harp Seal of Operating Systems........

like the PETA of software
Yeah, well them or Green Peace.

I think that M$ should launch a pro-active publicity campaign of their own, to wit, "no puppy linuxes were clubbed during the coding of Windows 7"!

LOL!!!! These morons have no clue. I declare a punch a FSF supporter in the face day.

LOL!!!! These morons have no clue. I declare a punch a FSF supporter in the face day.
Do you use any free, open source, cracked software? Because you sound like somebody that downloads a bunch of copyrighted music and won't pay.

Who really uses linux? Not the regular every day normal guy. USUALLY only people with a high level of tech experience would even consider using linux.

Not necessarily. Linux is no rocket science. There are a large number of distros that would be apt for even those having very basic computer knowledge.

captaincranky said:
Do you use any free, open source, cracked software? Because you sound like somebody that downloads a bunch of copyrighted music and won't pay.
I do... Wait, my attorney is advising me to plead the fifth.

In the words of Ted Nugent "leave Bill Gates alone If you don't like M.S. then invent your own operating system and get a good buddy to help launch it...

Ritwik7 said:
Who really uses linux? Not the regular every day normal guy. USUALLY only people with a high level of tech experience would even consider using linux.
Not necessarily. Linux is no rocket science. There are a large number of distros that would be apt for even those having very basic computer knowledge.
can you name one of these distributions, please? I have tried ubuntu 8.04 and openSuSE 11.1 on my desktop pc and my laptop and didn't even manage to install all the necessary device drivers. Either because there are none, or because I had to type dozens of cryptic console commands to install them. Very user friendly...
There is an alternative to windows and it's called mac os X.

If the Linux community would get off their collective a$$es and start making competitive programs that people would want at a cheaper price or for free as they do now, Microsoft and Apple would have to follow suit. There are only a few out there now. How many versions of Tetris do we really need? The Linux community needs to drop their "L33t N3rd" mentality and focus on becoming a real threat to the OS monopolies. Gaming being one of their top priorities. Why write a program that runs a competitor's software when you have the means to make your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back