MS .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, etc, do I really need all/ any of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubwise78

My laptops HD is running low and looking at the 'add/ remove programs' utility, I noticed I have a lot of .Net Framework updates. I thought a new update should replace the old but they are listed as follows:

MS .Net Framework 1.1 (No filesize listed)
MS .Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) (No filesize listed)
MS .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Size: 185 MB Used: Rarely
MS .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Size: 179 MB Used: Rarely
MS .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Size: 28.57 MB Used: Rarely

I assume 1.1 has been replaced as there is no size listed but do I need 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5?

Is .Net Framework even neccessary on a XP laptop used mainly for the internet, MS Office, multimedia (streaming video, Mp3 etc)?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, cheers

Don't worry about them just leave them there. Make sure you check for Microsoft Updates regularly. The .NET framework is needed for some programs to run correctly

Please be very, very careful when deleting things to make space... Bigger hard drives are not that expensive any more

Essentially the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 will contain all of it's predecessors so if you are really running out of space, remove all of them and reinstall v3.5 SP1

Even if you were to remove the old framework (which I wouldn't) you won't gain much.
Do you run the disk cleanup utility? It may find more than that with a single run.
Here is another program you can install and run, it gets rid of the junk files and gives your PC quite the tune up ;)

Wise words strategic and a good link :cool: I suspect that Dubwise78 may have tried to install a program and he was told that there wasn't enough hard drive space. If this is the case, nothing short of a new larger hard drive will help here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back