Not open for further replies.
My older computer has these specs:
1.2ghz amd athlon thunderbird
Motherboard (thats the brand) 663as ultra/ 663as pro
1x spectek 256 sdram 133mhz; 1x dell 128 sdram 100mhz
ati radeon 7000
27gb hdd
windows98

Recently, a strange problem started occuring on my computer. Usually just after startup, (10 mins or before), the computer will completely freeze. No mouse movement or keyboard reaction at all. It seems like completely random times that it happens. I used to be able to play battlefield with no problem, besides sucky graphics, but now it completely locks when i try to play a game. Some days, every thing is fine until I try to play a game or render a video project. Other days, it freezes up right after windows loads or even before that, (even at the blue scan disk screen). I usually have to shut down with the power button and let it sit a few minutes. If I press the reset button, it usually shuts off the monitor and then doesn't turn it back on, but the computer keeps running without responding. I have asked many many people about the problem and have come nowhere near an answer. Please help!
Thanks

Welcome to TechSpot
Take either piece of RAM out and all should be well.
You should never mix different RAM-types (133 and 100 MHz in your case), and when you use more than 1 stick of RAM, they should preferably all be from the same manufacturer.

2 different speeds pull the whole lot down to the speed of the slowest stick, which may also not agree with your BIOS-settings.

Look for the likes of Crucial, Kingston, PNY

I tried both pieces of memory. Leaving in the 100mhz stick, there was some sort of error about the system registry. Leaving in the 133mhz stick, the problem was still there. Thanks for trying though. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the agp or chipset, because sometimes when I press the reset button after a lock up, the monitor says frequency over-range. Also, the problem seems to happen when graphics/video proccesses are running.

It could be your power supply but it is doubtful. The only solution I can come up with is to do a freash in stall of win98. My brother has a lock up problem when he puts a CD into his CD-RW or DVD-RW. Its werid cause it happen ever 2nd time a CD is put in. I told him to install XP but he is too lazy to install it.

I'm gonna go try installing 98 over again, although it seems more like a hardware problem rather than software. It's worth a try, though.

CPU Model?

How do I find out exactly what model my CPU is? I know it is an AMD athlon thunderbird 1.2 ghz, but how do I find out the model number?

It could just be some buggy program using up all your memory. I have seen this before. No guarantee what it is exactly. You might just start uninstalling programs till you figure out what is causing it. At times it is just one DLL not working right left behind from some uninstalled program.

Free Ram XP says that I have plenty of free memory. The computer never seems bogged down or laggy, it will just freeze when it seems to be running perfectly smoothly.

Here's my experience

I had the same problem. Turns out that the wireless bridge I had was causing it. It was a netgear. If you've got that, then that's a starting point. If not, take a look at your devices and see if you have any conflicts.

I'd also make sure that the fans are all working and thet the heatsinks aren't dirty. Heat is one of the major causes of system lockups, especially random ones. Hope this gives you something else to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back