Tech Tip of the Week: A List of PC Game Classics Available Free of Charge

Julio Franco

Staff member
Dozens of old school favorites like Doom and GTA can be had at no cost. We've compiled a brief list of popular titles from yesteryear that you can download absolutely free of charge -- and that's something to appreciate in an age of hidden fees and fine print.

This week's tip:
A List of PC Game Classics Available Free of Charge
https://www.techspot.com/guides/258-free-pc-game-classics-list/

Please leave your feedback here.

The only way to acquire most old school games is either free or "free". Its up to the users how they get their free games, both involve intensive internet research.

i remember a couple years back(2001 i think) you could get GTA & GTA2 (2D versions) for free at freeloader.com but you had to dowload 1 episode at the time . i.e you finish a setion of the game they gave you a code to dowload the next section

i think we might intal a few that have multiplayer at work and have fun during lunch time !!

Awesome!, freebies are good :D
I kind of know about most of them but putting them altogether in a topic + the wikipedia page is really useful, Thanks..

I remember playing many of these classic games when i was little. I wonder if i'll ever enjoy games as much as i did back then.

Man, I'm gonna have to dust off Dosbox and play a few of those... Hmm, yet another reason to go ahead and order a Pandora! (Like I need more reasons)

Thanks for the list :) I do really like what Good Old Games is doing with their updates/ports as well. I would gladly pay $5 for a bunch of old games if they worked correctly with the latest OS/video cards.

This brings back memories.. I remember playing Doom and the original C&C when I was about 4 years old on my mom's comp. I could barely spell but I knew how to launch those games from DOS nonetheless :p

I think that similar to games, other companies should also consider this strategy, I don't think it would hurt to give away older versions of the software for free, that way people can check out and work, if they want to and update to the newer version if it is worth it.....

Like Microsoft giving away free all windows and office versions free which were prior to 2000......

What about SNES emulators? Or do they not count as "free"? Street Fighter II is one of the best ways of using your lunch break :)

making it free is a good way to gain popularity for the game and the creator. nice!... is microsoft really giving away old versions!... good...

Anyone ever play Outpost 1&2. That game was a classic.

SNES emulators are great for games that will never get ported to the Wii... I wish Earthbound would get ported, but it won't b/c of copyright content. Earthbound is in my top 5 RPGs of all time, but the only way to play is to hookup the ol' Super Nin or with a Emulator.

oh my gosh, C&C I love that game they've also got Red Alert! which is even better :D
Thanks for sharing this! Its good to play a classic every once it a while.

hello ...

i shall check the command & conquer series, i used to love these games.
just dld the fallout for PC, i don't think it's good for file is less than 400K ;)

thank you for the news ...

cheers!

Aaaaah, thanks for the nostalgia TechSpot. Now we can revive some cherished memories that are now freeware.

Yes, there are way more but here is another worth your time:

http://download.cnet.com/Starsiege-Tribes-full-install/3000-7441_4-10294998.html

thats an awesome way of drumming up a lil business from people who killed lots of time playing these games years ago to buy the newest versions

I just filled in the form for GTA2 and already sent the link to a friend of mine. He loved GTA2 as much as I did.

P.S.
I have had an account on Quake Live for about 4 months already.It was nice at the beginning but, I honestly got bored of it. Maybe I just don't enjoy games as much as I did when I was younger.

Back