Friends BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRooster

Well I've been working on trying to figure this out for a little now. After many driver updates and bios updates, still nothing.. So im leavin to the pros now.

System Specs..

Nvidia BFG 9600 GT Stock Overclocked
AMD X2 6400+ Dual Core
On Board Sound (Legacy Audio)
Asus M2N-E Sli
Super Talent X1 2Gig
Super Talent x1 1 Gig
Both are DDR2
WD 320gig 7200+ RPM

Its not a overheating issue. Sometimes it BSOD's when he first starts it, or after 15 mins of Counter-Strike Source. Or it will be an hr and he will be on the internet (facebook) and it will BSOD. He also recalls letting it sit then going to move the mouse and it BSOD's. Once he restarts after intial BSOD its fine for a while.

Dump files are attached..

Attachments

• Mini042710-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 4
  • Mini042810-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini042910-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini050310-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
The single definitive minidump is the error 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT because this is probably the strongest error code indicator for corrupted memory and that is what was exactly identified as the problem.

However, looking at the memory configuration and the fact thatthis is an Asus motherboard, which are notrious for being picky about which memory can be installed, it would pay you to check the memory voltage set in the BIOS and compare it to the RAM manufacture's specs.

Also, how does the system run with only one stick installed?

Lastly, run memtest on the memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Okay So far, I called Super Talent. They said stock voltages were fine for the Asus Board. He said that the 0x8E could be drivers, HDD, or RAM. I have already Re-Partitioned the HDD w/ a fresh OS install and latest drivers twice over the past 6 months. I doubt its drivers. Im thinking maybe HDD. MemTest got to 37 Pass's before I stopped it with no errors for either stick. Im gona try one stick for now again and see if he gets frequent BSOD's still. I have the 1 gig in. He just recently purchased a 2 gig stick. I will swap them out if no BSOD. We are going to hockey practice now, we left it on, if its gona BSOD it will during this time. I will re-post with the error message ID and so on..

All things considered I'd rather be fishing on a trout stream in Pennsylvania.

Btw I live in Chester County,PA. My family helps out the State with private and Public trout Stockings in the local streams. We get all of the private dates. If you ever want some info..shoot me an email. I get the hidden stock dates too :p

All things considered I'd rather be fishing on a trout stream in Pennsylvania.

Btw I live in Chester County,PA. My family helps out the State with private and Public trout Stockings in the local streams. We get all of the private dates. If you ever want some info..shoot me an email. I get the hidden stock dates too :p

I grew up in the Collegeville area. I love trout fishing. I always wanted to help stock the Skippack at Evansburg State Park but the dates never work out for mje.

Anyway, yes 0x8E errors can sometimes be caused by drivers but they are almost always caused by hardware.

However, what to do about the minidump with the error 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT because this is probably the strongest error code indicator for corrupted memory and that is what was exactly identified as the problem?

Try this: Run with just one stick of memory installed. Any system crashes?

Okay so heres an update. The one gig of RAM was in first, he did not BSOD. He occured a black screen with the sound skipping. Not frequently like before with the BSOD's. Then tonight I took that out and replaced it with the 2 gig of RAM, and bam blue screens after 15 mins of CS:S, then he restarted and got 3 more freeze's of the black screen one without skipping sound with a matter of 10 mins.

We are back to the 1 gig now and he cannot play at all without getting a black screen. Sometimes with sound skipping and sometimes without.. Now im thinking maybe its a PSU problem. He has a Start Power PSU. ATX12v 2.0 compliance. Dual 12v output circuitry 12v1&v2. 600 Watt. its the one with the dual push-pull 8 cm fan. I went through two of these personally, one blew out on me and the other died. Both were giving me black screens with sound skipping and sometimes not at all. I have then upgraded to the Antec CP-850 and havn't had a problem since. Maybe his GPU is drawling too much power and its causing the PSU to trip? Its a Brand X PSU...starter PSU and a (POS) in my eyes. What do you guys think?

Yes, the power supply is certainly suspect. Never trust a BrandX power supply. I just hope the motherboard is okay. Do you have a multimeter to test it?

(By the way, two rainbows on Tuesday :grinthumb )

Ok, So recently I cleared his CMOS and jumped his Bios. Went on for about two hrs before getting a BSOD. This time it was 0x50 page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Earlier today he was on and got a 0xd1 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. So im confused. What do you guys think?

I checked all of his drivers they are correct, and up-to-date, and if its faulty RAM, how did it pass Mem Test

Thats just it, there was no minidumps. I looked in his event viewer for them and there wasn't any. There was only one for a few days before. He is rarely on the thing and yesterday was the first day in a week. Hes pretty depressed lol. There was jsut some warnings from his DHCP (just an IP issue with his router)

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

To answer a previous question there are those occasions when bad RAM has been known to Pass memtest. I personally know of one person who ran the test for 26 Passes before he got an error and sure enough it was his RAM causing the issues.

* Did you get a chance to test the psu?

* By the way Rooster, I have only had one chance to trout fish. I'm going through withdraw. :D

Recently got a new PSU for him, still getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Should I let MEMTEST run for almost two days on each stick?

Ok, So ive done a lot of work on his computer. Fully rebuilt it head to toe. I uninstalled AVG, and belkin products. Ran driver verifier and only had one that wasn't verified so I stopped it. He now is hardlined into a Belkin router (which has the latest firmware). After downloading a game which capped his internet, playing CSS, and having the game The Hunter Open he BSOD'd after 35 mins. He BSOD'd with USBOHCI.SYS. Then restarted and it BSOD'd at the same spot twice as soon as it got to the desktop. Im uploading as many Mini Dumps as I can for you guys. He only use's this rig for gaming, and he gets to play about 10-30 mins before it BSOD's.

Attachments

• Mini082010-03.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini082010-02.dmp
  • Mini082010-01.dmp
  • Mini051210-01.dmp
  • Mini051110-01.dmp
Here are a few more

Attachments

• Mini042110-01.dmp
  • Mini042210-01.dmp
  • Mini042510-01.dmp
  • Mini042610-01.dmp
  • Mini042610-02.dmp
And again some more, I really hope this helps 44!

Attachments

• Mini041410-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini041710-01.dmp
  • Mini041910-01.dmp
  • Mini042010-01.dmp
  • Mini032410-01.dmp
Okay, so now its Blue screening everytime he gets to the desktop. 0x8E is the error. I took apart his system, and put a new part in one by one. GPU, CPU, RAM one at a time and everytime I started it It still BSOD'd. I didnt swap the HDD of course, or the MOBO. So maybe a driver or program? Or mobos dead

Memory corruption was cited in the latest batch of minidumps. What is the voltage set in the BIOS for the memory and does it match the RAM specs as set by the manufacture?

Well, we went out and got a new board. I reformatted his HDD and had a hell of a time doing it. After I formatted it, it wouldn't boot to his CD rom drive. I then put his HDD in my computer formatted it again, and installed XP on it using my Comp. I then put it in his computer hoping I could get it to boot from the CD ROM and format using the CD and install XP once again. Still wouldnt, as it booted up i got the 0X8 at windows login screen everytime. I then unplugged the CD ROM drive and tried to boot it, and it worked. It booted right up to the desktop. Amazing huh? After installing all the stuff for the new board I restarted it and plugged in the CD ROM drive.. and it worked again. So far it has been working like a dream. But now in event viewer its reporting errors with his CD Rom drive and the CD rom drive wont work. I havnt checked out this issue yet, but he just told me that it reports that it isn't working. We did some hardcore gaming on it and it BSOD once. This time with a new error I think, and thats when the CD ROM stopped working. So I will check out this issue hopefully today and re-post mini dumps..

Could this issue have been the CD ROM all along?

We called ASUS and they said we didnt have to change the voltage. (the PC repair shop where i bought all the hardware for his comp also recomended this RAM for the board)

So here are the new Mini Dumps

Attachments

• Mini082410-01.dmp
  • Mini082410-02.dmp
  • Mini082710-01.dmp
  • Mini082810-01.dmp
  • Mini090510-01.dmp
Three 0x8E errors that are almost always caused by hardware.

Two 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors and this error is probably the strongest indicator of corrupted memoory. Both dumps listed memory corruption as the cause.

What is the RAM voltage set at? Does Asus recommend this memory for this board?

What throws me off here 44 is I had my RAM in the board and it still 0x8, then I put my GPU in with the RAM of mine and it still 0x8, Yes they recommend this RAM and voltage.

This is certainly a strange course of events. Is there any shorts anywhere? Is the motherboard touching the case in anyway? We assume the standoffs are proper.

I re-built it before I got the new board just to check. Now that I put the new board in, its barely happening but still is. The CD ROM drive is also failing, I unplugged it and restarted it. It works for now but I think its gona go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back