Sheena314

To start, here is my computer information:
Processor type: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual-core processor tk-55 1.80 GHz

RAM: 2GB

Hard Drive size/free space:
Local Disk (c)- 83.1GB free/140GB
HP recovery- 1.80GB free/ 8.42GB
32-bit operating system

My husband told me today that the right click portion of the embedded mouse isn't working.
The left-click and the navigation portion of the mouse work fine.
And I know there are short cut keys that you can use to copy/paste, but I would like to know if there is something I can do myself to help fix this issue? A virus couldn't be causing this, could it?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

One thing I would suggest is, go into the Mouse options (Start > Control Panel > Mouse) and change the left click to a right click, make sure it isn't a Software issue, I doubt it is, but just to make sure.

If it works fine when you switch the function of the left-click, then you know it's possibly a busted button, not too much you can do other then send it in for repairs..

Yeah, I notice that every third or so time I click it, it works.
I took your advice and switched it to left handed mouse and came to the conclusion that the right click button just isn't working. Maybe something is stuck in there.

So I may just go over to RadioShack and buy a wireless mouse. I like the touchpad mouse though, so it is too bad that it isn't working.

Edit: Thank you for your help.

No problem, sucks that your mouse pad is not working. On the upside it is only the right click and is still useful if u go to use it in most cases.. Unless you've taken apart a laptop before I wouldn't suggest it to try and clean it, laptops have a lot of screws and are sometimes quite tricky.

Good point/ I am not that experience with computer. The most invasive thing I have done is install some RAM.

Now all of a sudden it is working like normal. I did use my nail to get underneath the button, and I think some stuff came out. So that is good.

Again, thanks for your help.

I am reopening this topic because this issue has resurfaced. I am pretty sure it is not the mouse pad, but rather some other issue, because after I ran the 8-step scan it worked fine, but all of a sudden it stopped working again. Is there a program I can run to see what the problem is, or should this be in the virus section of the board?

Well, if it works fine with an external mouse just fine, try reinstalling the driver. To do this:

if you can right click
Right click My Computer, go to Manage. From there click Device Manager, go to Mouse and other pointing devices. Right click, uninstall. Restart the computer, it should reinstall itself. After that see if it works properly. If not, check out the settings from the Control Panel for the mouse...

if you can't right click
Go to Start > Run type mmc hit enter. At the top of the window, click File, go to Add/Remove Snap-in. Click Add, select Device Manager, keep it selected to Local Computer, click Finish, Close, Ok. Now Select Mouse and other pointing devices, right click, uninstall, then restart teh computer, see if it helps.

If you do believe it is to do with a virus, I can't give help here for virus's as I am not "properly" trained and allowed to on these forums really. I do remove virus's and infections from computers, but it is more difficult when helping someone on the internet. If you think it is a virus, please do report to the Virus section to get proper help from the professionals on the forum :)

I tried your suggestion. It worked or awhile, although it does cause the cursor to jump around when I would type in a form. I updated to driver and it worked for awhile longer, but then it went back to not working.
So I don't know what the problem is.
I appreciate your help.

Well, either the drivers are always screwing up, or the touch-pad itself is all screwed up too.. Not much you can do about that... Sorry to hear that it wont stay working :(

Sorry to bring this up again, but I am having this problem still, but today, the issue switched from the right-click not working to the left-click not working. Now, the right-click works fine.
I am now wondering if this is a virus issue or some freak occurrence. I tried updating the driver and also uninstalling it, but the issue is still happening.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What is the manufacturer and model number of the laptop?

Perhaps, there is an updated driver at the manufacturer website and/or discussion of this issue.

I went to the system information portion of my computer and it says that the system manufacturer is HP (Hewlett Packard), and the model is HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC.

I tried updating the driver but it didn't work. I also tried reinstalling the driver, but that also didn't work.

Only 2 things that come to mind are that either there is a small short close to the mouse that is disrupting the use of it being proper, but if that were the case you would have more frequent problems with both buttons as well as the touch pad itself..

Another guess is there is something beneath the mouse buttons that is not allowing them to make contact, and the more u press it/move the laptop around, then it changes from broken, to working, and switching buttons.. My suggestion would be to A) Get a can of compressed air and blow into it a few times.. Make sure not to tip the can, keep it upright. So to do it carefully, get someone to hold the laptop so the keyboard is at an Up and Down angle so you can properly spray compressed air into it..

Other suggestion is, if you have the money, bring it into a shop, one that is familiar with laptop repair, and get them to check into the touch pad keys.. I have torn into a few laptops myself, they are not difficult if you have had some experience with them, and they should be able to find out right away if it's a physical, electrical, or software issue..

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will get some compressed air when I get a chance and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

I went to the device on my computer and on the properties tab, I clicked update driver. It then told me I already had the latest driver installed (I have Windows Vista Home Premium).
Should I instead go to the website?

Edit: Not sure if this offers any important information, but here is the information about my current driver:
Driver Provider: Synaptics
Driver Date: 5/27/2010
Driver Version: 15.0.17.4

A couple comments

1. I just skimmed the thread so it's not clear.. so i'll ask: Have you tried a different mouse??

2. One way you might tell if it's a Windows vs. a hardware problem, create a Knoppix CD and boot into Knoppix (an alternate free Operating System). If left and right mouse clicks work, the problem is probably your Windows/software.

See step #2 in this post See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Sheena, best way to find the correct model is: Look on the bottom of your laptop, you will see the same dv6500 number but you will have two letters after that, in my case it is CA for Canadian model, so yours should correspond with where you purchased it. Then go to that link that CAMusing posted above ( HP Laptop Models 6500 ) select the correct one and download the touch pad/mouse drivers..

I agree with LookinAround he has a good idea about creating a boot CD to check if it really is software or hardware.

The dv6500 is all by itself, but a separate number is dv6607rs. Is that the right one?
As for the boot CD, is that something that is easy to do?

Yea. Step-by-step is in the Guide. But feel free to ask any questions (you might have some if this is the first time you downloaded and burned a large ISO file)

PLUS.. it is an excellent rescue CD to have available should Windows ever fail to boot and you want to copy your files (or test your hardware again under a different OS)

Yes, dv6607rs, is the one you were looking for, the drivers for your laptop are located here for:
Windows XP Driver

Windows Vista 32bit Driver

Select the one that is appropriate for your windows OS, and try the driver. But I do agree with going with LookinAround's idea, having a boot CD handy is a very helpful tool to have available, you do need a CD or DVD burner, as well as a program that can burn images/bootable CD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back