Can I use DDR2 and DDR3 RAM together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainRobbie

Hi all,

I currently have 3Gb of DDR2 memory, in 2 slots (1x 1GB, 1x 2GB) - however i wanted to increase this to 4GB or even 6GB. Basically i was wondering if the following factors would affect my choice:

1-Is there a limit of how much RAM i can have in my motherboard?
2-Can i cross between DDR3 and DDR2 memory in the two slots, or do i have to keep the same type in each? - (and also, whats the difference between the two)

Thank You :)

If your motherboard currently supports DDR2, then you can only add DDR2. They're not slot compatible.

Which motherboard do you have? Most modern motherboards should support 4 to 8GB of RAM.

I don't think motherboards support both DDR2 and DDR3. You pick one or the other... and if you buy DDR3 make sure that's what your motherboard supports.

My graphics card has its own DDR3 512MB bank of memory, will this not work because my motherboard is a DDR2 memory?
Video memory has nothing to do with the RAM in the computer. Thank goodness, since the latest video memory is GDDR5.

The only place I could see a conflict is when you have a graphics card which is using system memory in addition to the cards onboard memory. I'm not even certain that this makes a difference, but most of the video cards using this strategy are low powered, and have GDDR2 memory anyway.

My graphics card has its own DDR3 512MB bank of memory, will this not work because my motherboard is a DDR2 memory?
Well your computer is working now right?
No discrete video card memory is in no way related.

perhaps it exists motherboard on which you can mix, but if I were you, I do not try...

Trust my experience with SDRAM and DDR with my old Athlon Thunderbird.... slow accesses...

perhaps it exists motherboard on which you can mix, but if I were you, I do not try...

Trust my experience with SDRAM and DDR with my old Athlon Thunderbird.... slow accesses...
I have no idea what you're talking about, the answer is a straight no.

Well, since this old thread has already been resurrected, let me put in my 2¢. There have been motherboards that support both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM but you can only use one or the other at the same time. For example: MSI P45-8D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back