Switching from modem to router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my modem plugged into the computer and everythings running fine. I want to plug the modem into the router, router into computer and get that up and running. I'm running XP. The router connection will be wired, its an older computer.

What's your question? Setting up a router is very easy with the models out now. They have a fold out chart and easy to follow instructions on the CD that comes with it.

Question is how to switch form the modem---computer set up to the modem----router----computer.
I know how to hook everything up, its setting up the computer to get online via the router.

There's normally nothing you need to change on the PC. As long as you're setup to obtain an IP address in the network configuration, you don't need to change anything. Just configure the router and go.

1) get the MAC address of your PC adaptor using run->ipconfig /all
it will be seen as Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-yy-zz-aa-bb

2) wire the pc to the router (any LAN port) and log into the config page

3) find the tab that contains the masquerade option [x] enable it and place the MAC address
of your system there

saved the settings and restart the router (power off; wait 30 sec, then power on)

Many ISP use Hardware Provisioning and the above is how we do it.
a) if your ISP doesn't, no harm
b) if it does, then this is the ONLY way you will get access to their DHCP configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back