What about Software Insider Magazine?

bert913

When it comes to computers, I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree.
Does anyone know about “Software Insider Magazine”? Are they a reliable source of information?
They recommend a registry cleaner “REGZOOK”. Is that any good?

You're very welcome
smiley_says_hello.gif

I would disagree, I've found several cleaners to be handy. I've used CCleaner for years as well as glarysoft.... both never gave me any issues at all.

I would disagree, I've found several cleaners to be handy. I've used CCleaner for years as well as glarysoft.... both never gave me any issues at all.
I think CCleaner only edits temp values in the registry, such as entries from the latest Adobe Flash update and such.

There are registry cleaners that are harmless, but then again there isn't much difference in performance after you run them. I use "Tweak Now" free edition from time to time.

Nero 6 leaves about 120 useless entries in the registry when it's installed. Tweak Now finds and removes them. It is annoying that Nero does that, I'm just not real sure it hurts anything.

1) You might want to skim through this recent thread

2) i never heard of REGZOOK and wouldn't trust it. In general, i don't trust reg cleaners. And certainly not one that boasts cleaning to gain performance

I think the more aggressive they are at cleaning, the more likely they'll eventually cause problems. That said, i'll say the only reg cleaner i trust and i've used (for years) is CCleaner. but i also don;t think it's "aggressive" (it just cleans up junk)

Tho only down side of CCleaner is they don't do a System Restore point before cleaning (which i'd advise is done before any system cleanup)... never figured out why they don't either. Their registry backup option is kinda useless should the machine actually crash....

unless you're a geek who knows how to restore your machine if something breaks... don't use cleaners
Another great point :)
I used to use those kind of tools on Windows 98 and under, and I guess, they're helping a little.
Since NTFS was introduced, starting with Win 2K, I've never ever used any of those tools.

Thanks everyone for your help.
What I gleaned from this is “If I don’t know what I’m doing, don’t do it.”
For this work, I’ll take it to the shop.
Thanks again, Bert

Back