What is Norton protected recycle bin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishsticks

I'm tweaking a few computers for a charity, and they have Norton System Works. I haven't any experience with this program.

I notice there is a 'Protected Recycle Bin'. When I click on 'Empty Norton Protected Recycle Bin' I get the following message:

"There are 1,500 protected files total on Drive C. You have 1,400 protected files on Drive C."

Underneath this are three boxes:

Purge Yours/ Purge All/ Cancel

What does all this mean? What am I purging, and is it safe to do so? What does this bin do in addition to the ordinary Windows Recycle Bin?

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light.

Swish

In my experience I have always turn off the protected recycle bin. Just right click on the recycle bin and there should be an option of what type of bin you want. Just choose regular bin and it should be better.

Thanks for the responses. I'll right-click it and turn it off. I don't know how Norton expect anyone to understand that dialogue box.

From what I've seen of Norton System Works, I'm not impressed. It bundles a bunch of things together which a few freeware standalone programs do better, and I've heard it's a real pain to remove. A bloated, pay-as-you-suffer, resource-hogging parasite. And those are just its good points.

Ah, feel better after that!

Swish

norton bah the protected files in recycle bin is the the files norton deems worthy of protecting in case any files get deleted by accident as well as the files you send to recycle bin should you change your mind, as for the purge yours and purge all i used to select (all) with no ill effects. i and norton parted a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back