USB drive recognized on laptop but not desktop

Duthie

Basically the title is my problem, I have a small 16 gb usb key which isnt bein recogonised when i put it into my usb slots. Im guessin this problem is driver related?

Could someone point me in the right direction?

I just completed that link and its still givin me this error.

Device driver software was not succesfully installed

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assisstance getting this device installed.
v165w no driver found

Any ideas? Its just a usb key with info,docs,files etc :/

Insert the USB key and do this.

• Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Yea gettin two in the problems devices

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP\5&178E6723&0&01 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
v165w USB\VID_03F0&PID_5307\00000000000112 The drivers for this device are not installed.

1) Can you plug in any other USB ext drive or flash card? Does another one work or is it just the one key?

2) Open Device Manager. I'm guessing you'll find a category Other devices. If you do, rt click the device that's listed, select Hardware IDs in the pull down menu, then click on an entry, Ctl-A to select All, then copy/paste the IDs into next post

1)No it seems to be all my usb keys, I plugged my other usb key (data taveller 2.0) and its givin the same error

DataTraveler 2.0 USB\VID_0951&PID_1607\000D883736945A87170A0187 The drivers for this device are not installed.

But I Plugged in my iphone usb lead that charges my phone it seems to recgonize it and work fine, itunes starts up and it auto syncs etc. just my usb keys arent working :/

2) umm ther was a dropdown menu with harware ids im guessin this is what ya want

USB\VID_03F0&PID_5307&REV_0100
USB\VID_03F0&PID_5307

thats for v165w (my usb key)

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&REV_0001&MI_00
USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&MI_00

And thats for the iphone cable im only after connecting...

OK. Well, my first guess is your USB Mass Storage driver (usbstor.sys) is corrupt . I've seen the problem reported in other forums (never had to fix it myself)

But before trying to fix it, i wonder if it might easiest and best to attempt a System Restore to a time before the problem started to see if that might fix it.

System Restore won't affect your personal data.

Iv had this problem along time now....I really dont wanna do a system restore.Were talkin atleast 8 months to maybe a year since i remember it working. I used to just email documents to myself.....Only now im gettin around to trying to fix it....What you reccomend?

Yea, 8 months is too far back anyway...

I think that leaves two options

1) A Windows 7 repair install (should repair Windows files and default settings) OR

2) As i recall, manually reinstalling just Windows' USB Mass Storage driver might be sufficient to also work.

In either case, do you still have your Windows 7 installation CDs? For option 2) i'd have to do a bit of digging first to remember the needed steps before i could post them

Hmmm.....When I bought the Desktop from PC world, i actually dont think they gave me the installation disks. :/ or am i wrong? do they have to give it?

In fact, vendors often don't these days (the cheap bast****) :D

But sometimes, in its place, they include a Recovery program which will generate and allow you to create one set of restore DVDs. Is good to check and if you can do so, generate them before ever your disk get corrupt (then you'd lose that ability)

Do you see any Recovery (or similar option) in your Programs menu? If you look in Disk Management (rt click My Computer->Manage, select Disk Management) look at the lower pane for your hard disk. It shows the partitions. Is there an unlabeled partition there in addition to your C: drive?

/* edit */
They often put the Recovery program into an unlabeled partition on your disk

lol! Yea ther is an unlabled (unnamed?) volume there and its status says 'healthy recovery partition'

lol! Yea ther is an unlabled (unnamed?) volume there and its status says 'healthy recovery partition'

LOL. Yea, so we know you DO have a recovery partition. Next question, is "Can you use it to create your own recovery DVDs?"
> So what make/model computer do you have? This is a good time to update the System Specs in your TechSpot profile. Then that info will always be available in all your posts...

Then download Serviwin
> Insert a USB key
> Run Serviwin, Click View->Drivers
> Scroll down to see name USBSTOR. What are the USBSTOR values for Status and StartupType?

I hope this topic isnt dead?!? or too late! But il try all these things now, I had another problem fixed earlier with help from route44 on another category :) and I guess I should fix this problem now too! Il upadate my comp specs now.

I downloaded that program and followed your instructions and the status is coming up stopped and the status type is coming up Manual

What should I do for next step?

I downloaded that program and followed your instructions and the status is coming up stopped and the status type is coming up Manual

What should I do for next step?
Your system specs don't list your version of Windows??

fyi... when a USB storage device is connected the status for driver USBSTOR should = "running"

So based on your result, i'm guessing no USB storage device will work on that computer? In which case it's either a Windows / driver corruption issue and/or a hardware issue with your USB ports not working. Do any USB device work?? (like a USB mouse/keyboard? have you tried other USB storage devices?)

My windows version is windows 7, sorry I didnt know my motherboard and more detailed info on my machine....:/

ok...but none of the other drivers are = running.

There status are either stopped or started. Should I right click and click change status to started? Would that help?

Ummm,no no other USB Key is being recognised. I have two usb keys an none are coming up....

I have a iphone lead connection to the same socket/port and it is being recgonised and I can access itunes and update my music no probs. Its just my usb keys.

And I dont have any Keyboards/mouse that connect to usb ports. Only the ones that connect to the Green and Purple I think it is connections.

NP. I dont think I was givin an install disk.... :/ I bought my pc in pc world....dont think it came with much.

I am running 64 bit.

So what should I do? I think it must be a faulty driver or driver needs to be updated or reinstalled? could that be it?

you can try rt click USBSTOR driver and try changing status to Start. I'm curious is it will start if you try manually and if so, try your USB storage device

Any chance you know someone with a Win 7 64bit install disk? in any case, will have to get back to you..

No it didnt worked.It changed to started but still not recognising anything......

No I wouldnt know anyone but I will ask around...

Across from the USBSTOR driver in serviwin under the category 'last error' when I scroll across it is saying Error 5:Access is denied. This make any sense??? Tryin to google the problem myself now.....must be a reason....

<snip>Across from the USBSTOR driver in serviwin under the category 'last error' when I scroll across it is saying Error 5:Access is denied. This make any sense??? Tryin to google the problem myself now.....must be a reason....
re: Acess Denied. Good catch!

maybe you already found this. I just googled this. Take a look Error: "Access is Denied" during USB Driver Installation

/* edit */
do a reboot and then try your USB device again after applying above

Sorry for the delay,was busy over the weekend!

Ummm tryied the scan in admin mode and after a couple of minuites its saying

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Any other ideas of whats wrong? :/ or what I should delete/installed/reinstall

Back