Favourite music genre?

Julio Franco

Staff member
I think there was a similar thread posted on the old forums, though it was more related to the "song sticking in your head".

Anyway, I guess I should start off by posting my favourites, right?
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that, I'm always open to new stuff when it comes to music, well just not that much. For example, I had never listened much Pink Floyd kind of music, but my friends love it and two weeks ago I returned from my trip singing "wish you were here", not my current favourite, I just liked it.

When it comes to genres, I like rock (nothing too heavy though) & punk (then again not the heavy variations) the most I think. I also like to listen some pop and romantic though, even bohemian, heh... latin rock is good as well as tropical genres.

Here are some of the songs that I think deserve a mention, some of them I haven't even heard in a while, just that they have had a meaning to me through my life ;) - I will probably miss a few ones, but anyway:

Guns n Roses - November Rain
No use for a name - On the Outside
MxPx - Middle Name
Mana - Te solte la rienda/Vivir sin aire
Nek - Como vivir sin ti/Si se q te tengo a ti
Bon Jovi - Always
Alberto Plaza - Pudo ser un gran amor
GoldFinger - More today than yesterday
Luis Miguel - Contigo Aprendi

Yup, I guess I'm love... :giddy: heh, no comments about that one, please ;)

I think my favorite type of music genre is probably modern rock, although I like all types of music except jazz and classical. It usually depends on the type of mood I am in, or what knds of radio stations are around.

I listen to Alternative Rock to Somewhat harder Rock to punk.
Bands include:
Blink 182
Green Day (older stuff)
Nirvana
Sublime
Taproot
Madhops
System of a Down
Tool (didn't much like until I started listening to them on my own)
Deftones
Cake
Papa Roach (not so much Infest - rather some unreleased albums 2 of which are *5 Tracks Deep and *Let 'Em Know)

I will listen to other stuff.

Stuff I don't want to listen to:
Pop
Country

Disclaimer: I will not hold it against anyone if they like pop and country.

I'm a big System of a Down guy myself, but I do enjoy the usual Tool, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and Adema...Yep, I'm a rock guy.

Rock is my genre. Soft rock, 80's rock, classic rock, etc, etc. I Also enjoy classical music from time to time. I don't particularly like rap or country.

Some favorite songs:

ACDC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Boston - More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind
Chicago - You're The Inspiration, Hard Habit to Break
Cindi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Time After Time
Dave Mathews Band - Ants Marching, Satellite
Goo Goo Dolls - Name
Journey - Faithfully, Open Arms
Linkin Park - Papercut, In the End
Third Eye Blind - Jumper, God of Wine
---------------------
U2 - Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have no Name, Beautiful Day, etc.

i pretty much listen to ABC..... Anything But Country :D :rolleyes:

here's a few i listen to (randomly picked out of my longass list of faves)...
Angela Ammons
Animaniac :D
Bon Jovi
BackStreet Boys
Britney Spears
Creed
Insane Clown Posse
Papa Roach
Nsync
Linkin Park
Pink
Stanford Mendicants
Weird Al
Will Smith

...i know people bash some of the artists on my list, but i dont care. i dont really care for the artists, and i dont really care what you think about what i like, ...so blah blah.

I listen to largely hard rock and stuff that teeters on the edge of metal. I also like lighter stuff, but I enjoy the harder stuff more usually.. Nothing brain damagingly loud, but something with some edge.

Some ones that pop into mind:

Metallica
Alice in Chains
Creed
Ozzy Osbourne
+ Live +
System of a Down
Godsmack
Stone Temple Pilots
Staind
Soundgarden

It isn't really fair to say these are my favorite bands.. But what pops in my mind when I think of things I like. I listen to anything from 3 Doors Down to White Zombie. Lately I've been finding myself listening to System of a Down, Chris Cornell, Danzig, Tool and Incubus.

Originally posted by Whack0
Pink
Actually I do have a few Pink songs, something about her stuff or her interests me.

...i know people bash some of the artists on my list, but i dont care. i dont really care for the artists, and i dont really care what you think about what i like, ...so blah blah.
Thats kind of what I was wanting to say but didn't really, I realize different people have different tastes, for me it varies somewhat. But like I said before I don't hold it against anyone who likes something I don't, its all a personal taste.

Give me a good film Soundtrack & I'll be happy. Guess the stand out stuff I have at the moment being;
Rambo 2: Expanded score
Hannibal
The Perfect Storm
The Mummy
Gladiator
Total Recall
well I could go on a while. I pretty much gave up on most regular music back in 2nd or 3rd year of college. The only lyrical stuff I'd really don't mind listening too would be Garbage

Modern Rock!!! Eversince i got a newer PC with more diskspace, most of my mp3s are rock. Honestly, i think i have turned 90% anti-pop genre.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Massive Attack
Cake
Rage against the machine
Beastie Boys
Lenny Kravitz
David Holmes
Kruder Dorfmeister
Portishead
Avalanches
Belle & Sebastian (Boy with the arab strap) - Dunno if this made it to the states ;)
Kylie
Neil Young
D'Angelo
B.B. King
Marvin Gaye

Not really a genre. Couldn't classify it, and I am sure most of you are the same....

Usually, I listen to black metal, techno or classical. They don't have much in common ;) .
Some of my favorites are:
Emperor
Marduk
MZ.412
Blümchen
The Chemical Brothers
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
etc.

I listen to mainly electronical music.

Drumm and bass, Elektro and what I like do define as 'intelligent electronic (dance) music'

Artists: Ed Rush, Optical, Pansonic, Erik Truffaz, Rascal & Klone, Dom+Roland, Aphex Twin, Andy C, Shimon, Talvin Singh, Teebee, Bad Company, ...

I like a little of everything. My favorite types of music are: Rock, Blues, Jazz, and Country. A good 50% of the music I own is Rock of some kind or another. I don't care much for soft jazz. Other types of music that I listen to include: Swing, Big Band, Tropical, Folk, Bluegrass, Dance, R&B, Top 40, Classical, Opera, Rap, and Oldies. It all depends on what I feel like listening to at the time.

BTW: The song stuck in my head the past two days is Soap by David Gates. Probably because I was trying to learn it on guitar.

most of you (if not all) seem to like rock....

nobody's into rap/ hiphop? is that genre dying or somethin?

that used ta be my fave genre a long time ago, but i dont listen to it much anymore... the only rappin dude i hav in my mp3 list is eminem...

My list of bands I listen to: Thrice (favorite), Finch, Senses Fail, Brand New, Something Corporate, Taking Back Sunday, and Yellowcard.

Honorable mentions (bands I like, but maybe not all their songs...) go to RATM, The Butterfly Effect, The Early November, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Paul Oakenfold, Orgy, Million Dead (Charlie and the Propaganda Myth :)), Lostprophets, Evanescence, Alien Ant Farm, and Acceptance.

Don't listen to my earlier post. It lies.

I like metal/rock and things along those lines:

System of a Down
Rage Against The Machine
Incubus
CKY
Funeral For a Friend
Finch
Sinch
InMe
Metallica
Hendrix ... and the list goes on ;)

BTW, It is nice to see a few SOAD fans around here, really is a great band :D .

Modern Rock probably and no pop for me.
Bands i enjoy listening to:

Rage Against the Machine
System of A Down
Incubus
Chevelle
Trapt
Disturbed
A Perfect Circle
Coldplay

Just to name a few...

I think it's been proven that the genere of choice among us computer lovers is rock. I didn't get into rock up until I was about 18 years old, just around the same time I got serious into computers. I started slowly with the soft stuff until I got into the "harder" rock.(not too hard though).
Some of my favorite bands:

Metallica
System of a Down
Disturbed.
Adema
Static X.
Drowning Pool
Staind.
Creed
Linkin Park.
Mana (just like Julio, I'm latin so I gotta have my Latin rock fix.)
Jaguares
Laura Pausini
Franco Devita
and the list goes on....

Being a musician, I like tons of stuff (Metal, Classical, Classic Rock), but I will always be a die hard Metal fan...some of my fav's:

Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, In Flames, Opeth, Meshuggah, Soilwork, Nevermore, Nile, TOOL, Godsmack, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Superjoint Ritual...the list just goes on and on...

Others: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Creedence, Beethoven, Bach (he OWNS), Eagles, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Cream...

You get the point...

METAL RULES

I like a bit of everything. Don't care for country or rap/hip-hop, although I have found songs in those categories that I've liked in the past.
My favorite stuff is Guitar rock and stuff with outstanding basslines(bass guitar, not synth junk)

A few of my favorite guitarists being :
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Eddie Van Halen(old stuff)
Marty Freidman
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Zakk Wylde
Randy Rhodes
you get the idea...

Bassists:
Cliff Burton
Billy Shehan
Les Claypool
Dave Ellefson
Michael Balzary(Flea)
Stewart Hamm
Tim Commerford(or whatever his name ended up being)
This list also trails on for a while...

No real heavy stuff for me. Typical old guy stuff.

Eric Clapton
Eros Ramazzati
Soraya
Dire Straits
Toni Childs
Phil Collins
Bruce Cockburn
Dave Matthews
Cusco
Pink Floyd
Fore Play
Jonny Lang
Keb Mo

I have significantly trimmed what I still listen to, I lost a few friends to graduation that were on street teams for bands and regulars to sites like http://www.theprp.com/ and radio around here is pretty lame. So I'm down to really only liking these on a regular basis:
Sublime
Rage Against the Machine
Deftones
HedPE
Nirvana
System of a Down

And these I like less now than in the past, but still good in moderation:
Cake
Portishead
Smashing Pumpkins
Taproot
The Urge
Tool

I think that bottom list could be expanded some, but I got tired of thinking, and maybe the top list could be expanded by 1 or 2.

Back