Due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display the windows firewall settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running XP pro with SP2 and just the other day bizarre behavior. First, my Norton Antivirus (system works 2002) does not enable auto protect despite my setting it that way when windows starts. It does however enable manually each time I perform this. Secondly, my firewall settings cannot be altered in fact I get the message when I attempt to enable it from the Security center "We're sorry, security center cannot turn on Firewall" and it directs me to go the control panel. Well, I go there and I get the subject line "Due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display the windows firewall settings" And there my friends, I am stonewalled with nowhere to go. Please help!

First thoughts...bin Norton, there are freebie AV's and firewalls 'out there' that do a better job don't cause so many probs and are less system resource hungry.
Sorry I can't be more 'positive' but there ya go....;)
:giddy:

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings

To fix this problem, two dlls need to be re-registered:

First: Click Start -> Run, Then type

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\atl.dll
and hit OK

Second:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\hnetcfg.dll
and Hit OK

This should allow for the viewing and configuration of the XP firewall settings.

Tried reactivating the suggested .dll files, no resolution. Still cannot open my Windows Firewall setting. This has caused major problems trying to upgrade from dialup to DSL.

Cannot Display the Windows Firewall Settings.. me too!

rdtref said:
Tried reactivating the suggested .dll files, no resolution. Still cannot open my Windows Firewall setting. This has caused major problems trying to upgrade from dialup to DSL.

I'm having exactly the same problem. For me it is a new (clean) install of XPPro with SP2 onto a new hard drive.

If anyone has any other ideas, please contribute.

Thanks,

hi there
i have the same problem, but i beleive that it is becsaue of the new win32 malware out that is stuffing up everyones computers
eg
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=135782

im not sure if your getting the win32 error popup, or not, but i am an i have the same problem (windows firewall not starting),
so i ended up getting zone alarm for the time being untill i have it all fixed

HughJass said:
i ended up getting zone alarm for the time being untill i have it all fixed
If I were you, I would stick to ZoneAlarm, and forget about the Windows Firewall. I have been using ZoneAlarm for years (the Pro version - yes, it costs money, but it's worth every cent), and the first thing I did when I installed XP SP2 was to make sure that the Windows Firewall was disabled - and I'll keep it that way.

Of course, that's just my EUR 0.02 - "Your mileage may vary," etc.

I have the same issue

With this error, is the firewall active or inactive? I know mine was active before I started getting this error. Is there a service related to the firewall that I can turn off or verify the firewall is inactive?

In Windows XP without SP2 the Firewall is turned off by default.
To enable or disable it:
Click Start, Control Panel, double–click Network Connections, right-click the desired connection, Properties, Advanced tab, Under Internet Connection Firewall, uncheck or check the 'Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet' check box.

In Windows XP with SP2 the Firewall is turned on by default.
To turn off there is much simpler, just perform the following steps...

1. Click Start
2. Control Panel
3. Windows Firewall
4. Select "Off (not recommended)"

Alternatively, from the command prompt,
To turn it off type: netsh firewall opmode disable

To turn it on type: netsh firewall opmode enable

HTH

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings

Hi, i was sabotaged by my friend by sending me an application and when i clicked on it, it disable my windows firewall and keep prompting me "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings" when I try to on my windows firewall. I scanned my computer with homecall(trend), my own anti virus(kaspersky) with the latest defination and with ad aware and it don't seems to find any trojan/virus... anyone can give any suggestion other than reformatting my computer?

alvinkh said:
Hi, i was sabotaged by my friend
If he`s a friend,you should get an enemy instead.

Have you tried those links above.It might just be one of those Windows glitches.

If your sure it`s spyware,go HERE follow the instructions and then post an HJT log in the Security and the Web forum.

hmm i've tried all those solutions above but it don't seems to help.. and after i scanning with adaware, trend online scan, kaspersky antivirus for home user, it didn't show that i'm infected with trojan/virus... anyway i installed zone alarm firewall for the time being.. hope can find a way to solve the windows firewall problem asap.. thanks alot anyway

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

In all honesty, Windows firewall is totally crap. You`re a lot better protected with Zonealarm.

Like Peddant said, If that`s your friend, he needs a stern talking to.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This is how i fixed my firewall problem

CAUSE
This problem is caused by a missing or corrupted SharedAccess.reg file. The SharedAccess.reg file represents the Windows Firewall service.

Note The Windows Firewall service in Windows XP SP2 replaces the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) service in earlier versions of Windows XP.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Back to the top

Method 1: Call the "Setup API InstallHinfSection" function to install Windows Firewall
To install Windows Firewall, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command line, and then press ENTER:
Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf
3. Restart Windows,
4. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Netsh firewall reset
6. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then press ENTER. In the Windows Firewall dialog box, click On (recommended), and then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back