Question For The Power Gurus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masque

I've got a running check on my power supply with a neat little program called Everest (total system specs). It's showing low voltage on the 12V rail.....fluctuating between 11.25 and 11.3 volts. I've had some video artifacting lately and I think that may be the problem. Is this running low to the lot of you?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, to the powers that be, I've posted this here instead of the vid forum (as my last post) because this one is related predominantly to the PS.

Thanks RBS....I thought you might know. I was afraid it was out of tolerance but at least it explains a few things. This PS is only about a year old with a 3 year warranty....we'll see if Antec does anything. I will keep an eye out for better though. I'd never heard of Fortron though. I'll look stateside to see if any vendors here carry them.

What's your impression on Enermax and such.....for the dollar (pound) that is?

In nearly all PSU-tests, Enermax comes near the top. But it is not the only reliable company. Antec Truepower is as good as Enermax, but both are not exactly cheap.

For my soon-to-be-built AMD64 PC I am eyeballing one of these new 480W Hiper Type R PSUs. The main reason is, these units come with dual 12Volt rails!
http://www.hipergroup.com/type-r.html
Hiper is now part of Coolermaster.

Fortron (also known as Fortron/Source or FSP) is based in Taiwan and the USA http://www.fortron-source.com/ They also produce for other manufacturers, who re-badge them.

Actually, the current PSU is a TruePower.....but I have been looking at the Fortron's and they have a 500W beast that has dual-12's. And the price isn't half bad either.....$89 at Newegg HERE !

My problem is that I live in the ROI, also known as Rip-Off Ireland.
The selection available here is not great, most anything else will have to come from the UK, where prices are high as well, plus it incurs expensive transport costs.
I know about, and I'd love to get one of those 500W Fortrons, but the only ones available here are the 400W as mentioned in my first post.
The basic power-need for my new PC is already 330W, and I would like to run my PSU at maximum 60% of its capacity, to keep things from getting warm. So 480-500W is borderline. A 550W would be perfect.
That 500W Fortron is $89 in the USA (=Euro 68) but costs Euro 100 in the UK plus shipping to Ireland.
(see what I mean about ROI?)

I do feel your pain....but on a related note......it's really tough to find good local brew here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back