Dual CPU or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputingSussed

Like all custom builds, you finish 1 and think about Your Next! well ive just finished building my System and im thinking of building another system in About 6-7 Months but was wandering whether i should build dual Opteron, Dual Xeon, or whether to take a completely different route and build a 64bit pc! What do u guys think? also does anyone know a case that could home a dual cpu mobo?
[CENTER]NEW PC in 6-7 Months! Cant Wait!!!!![/CENTER] :bounce:

MAximumPC maginze june 2004 had a article about this personally they said to jsut stick with a single CPU ... Most apps take advantage of the multiple procrossor..So basically you are jsut wasting power espically with the new DDR2.PCI faster busses to name a few .It not worth the cost for the extra procrossor.

I'd spend my money on a dual Xeon 1M cache or higher
if you are serious get a supermicro board and a supermicro box
whats in your wallet
I guess I just like Intel
Guess what I use
Poor mans system
PS
this is for server systems only
if you only want a nice workstation stick with single cpu's

Unless you are specifically using applications that do a GOOD job of taking advantage of an SMP setup I would go with a 64bit machine. The next machine I build is going to be a single proc 64bit machine - just hope intel has their stuff together by that time otherwise I'll be forced to go AMD once again. BTW, I'm an intel guy if you can't tell.

Or you could wait for the DualCore 64-bit chips coming from both AMD & Intel. Why settle for just one feature ? :p

ComputingSussed said:
im thinking of building another system in About 6-7 Months but was wandering whether i should build dual Opteron, Dual Xeon, or whether to take a completely different route and build a 64bit pc! What do u guys think? also does anyone know a case that could home a dual cpu mobo?
Dual Opteron is both dual CPU and 64-bit.

Dual Nocona Xeon is both dual CPU and 64-bit.

There are a lot of standard ATX size dual CPU mainboards available.

I thought I saw something about that when I was on the intel site
Wow we can have it all
is that the true 64 bit xeon or the fix.?
How many apps out there take advantage of this type of computing
and what part of my body do I have to sell to get that setup.

I'm happy I can run 3 apps now and I get no lockups (hours up 267)
would like to upgrade my MB but not sure if it would do any good
can my xeons (see below ,400fsb with 512kb cache)work with a board that uses DDR I think thats faster than the 800mhz rdram I use now?
:chef:

So Opteron is

I remember reading up about the differences between Operons and the 2 sorts of Xeons Available! i remember seeing that Opteron is 64Bit Capable now you mention it!
Looks Like My Next System will be a Dual Opteron (unless dualCore 64Bit is available in 6-7 Months)
Cheers for your help!!!
P.S. Why Dont You all register at My Site :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back