Norton Internet Security 2005 preventing Outlook XP sending email

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris N

Since I transferred Norton Internet Security 2005 from my old PC to my new one about a week ago, more than half of the emails I have tried to send have failed with a Norton error message stating

‘Your email message to (name) with the subject (subject) was unable to be sent because the connection to your mail server was interrupted. Please open your email cliend and re-send the message from the Sent Messages folder (1003,9)’

I have no problem receiving emails. I have no problem sending emails if I disable Norton Internet Security entirely.

On my old PC I have Windows 2000 sp2 and Office 2000, and it still works fine. (For the time being I have not uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2005 on my old PC so that I can compare settings on my old and new PCs, though it is now overdue for an update). The old and new PCs sit side by side for the time being so that I can compare them.

On my new PC I have Windows XP sp2 and Office XP sp3.

I use the same 56kbps dial-up line and the same ISP and email account on both old and new PCs.

I have consulted Symantec’s web site and Google and so far have tried the following suggestions:

1. I have tried waiting. In the meantime I have sent and received messages on my old PC to prove that this still works.
2. I have tried setting Outlook XP not to hang up after sending or receiving.
3. The only firewalls I have are Norton Internet Security 2005 and the Windows XP firewall. The Windows XP firewall is switched off.
4. The Norton firewall has access to ccApp.exe as suggested by Symanted
5. Symantec says to give the firewall accett to Symnetdrv.dll but it does does not exist on my PC.
6. There are two copies of Ccemlpxy.dll. I gave the firewall full access to both.
7. Outlook.exe has full internet access
8. Disabling outgoing email scanning
9. Disabling incoming as well as outgoing email scanning
10. Disabling all email scanning and disabling the Norton firewall.
11. Increasing the server timeout setting in Outlook from 30 seconds to 10 minutes
12. Switching off spam filtering in Norton
13. Checking that timeout protection in Norton is set
14. Installing MS Office SP 3
15. Added my email server www.onetel.net.uk to the firewall’s trusted zones
16. Ran Live Update
17. Added ports 25 and 110 to the XP firewall, even though it is switched off.
18. Checked that the email settings are the same as on my old PC
19. Installed Outlook 2000 but it would not send even without Norton. Error 0x80070057. Could not see Outlook Express? Uninstalled it again.

When I say none of the above worked, what I mean is that the two test emails I have been sending again and again worked some of the time with most of them, but when I sent them again with the same settings to confirm, they failed. Sending seems more likely to succeed if there are incoming emails, or if the email being sent is just a few words.

Help!

When all else fails...

I had a seemingly unrelated problem with Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Windows XP SP2 system, but which may help provide a solution to yours.

When I first installed NIS, I found that I couldn't view my yahoo mail nor my hotmail accounts. I would get an error message basically telling me I need to have javascript enabled, although I already had enabled javascript. I had no problem viewing any other web pages. I tried everything in a long menu of suggestions at the symantec website, but the only thing that would work to view those yahoo and hotmail accounts was to temporarily disable NIS.

Finally, I tried the final suggestion at the end of that long symantec menu, which was to uninstall and then reinstall NIS, following their directions step by step. It worked!

There must have been a problem that occured during my initial installation of NIS, because reinstalling it did the trick.

Here is the symantec web page describing the step by step procedure for uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Internet Security, and I highly recommend following the steps carefully, as there were some that I wouldn't have thought of on my own:

Symantec page

Good luck!

Try disabling one or other of your firewalls, I had the same problem with my anti-virus software (panda platinum internet security) and as soon as I turned off the panda firewall (which i had no need for since i have a firewall in my router and the windows firewall), i could send emails again.

Denaan: Thank you. I have been keeping a reinstallation of Norton as a last resort, as it means downloading over 30Mb on my dial-up line all over again. Without that guidance I would probably just make things worse. I've printed it all out to try.

Tedster: Also a pretty good idea that I'll add to my list. It sounds a lot easier than reinstalling Norton. I may try reinstalling Outlook 2000 again but this time see whether I can reinstall Outlook Express at the same time so that maybe Outlook 2000 will see it.

andygibbs: Thanks, but I have no other firewall except for Windows XP's, which is disabled.

I should have mentioned that the work-around is to connect to the internet first, and then do a send and receive within Outlook. Then disconnect manually when it has finished. So much more hassle than just doing a send and receive, pressing connect, and leaving Outlook to get on with it and disconnect automatically when it has finished. It suggests to me that the problem is the interaction between Outlook's automatic hang-up at the end of the process, and Norton. As I mentioned, the second thing I tried was simply disabling automatic hang-up by Outlook, but that alone did not work.

This is the first time I have tried posting a problem like this and I am really impressed with the results, and grateful for your replies.

Chris

Internet Security 2005

All I can say is ditch it, I've used Nortons software since the early days but now its got big and really slows my computers down. Never realized this until I switched to Zone Alarm Internet suite which I cannot fault. I've had no end of problems with Outlook express freezing with it and then started getting other problems to long to list.:mad:

Thanks, Davers, I think you could be right. Part of the problem was my own fault: I had installed Office XP and Service Pack 3, but not Service Packs 1 and 2, so even when I uninstalled Norton I got an error message. However, the service packs have not entirely cured the problem once Norton is reinstalled. It is at least now possible to send emails by disabling Norton altogether. It is also possible to send them by unchecking the Outlook option to hang up after completing a send receive. However, in this case I also have to press Send/Receive a further one or two times before I manually disconnect, otherwise I get an error message and nothing is sent. I noticed that when I reinstalled Norton everything was fine until I started running Live Update. Updating Ad Blocking, Anti Spam Core Components, Anti Spam Definition Updates, Anti Virus, and Anti Virus Definitions was fine. But when I updated Symantec Security Software Update my error message on sending returned. So I might reinstall without updating that one. Or just ask for my money back and buy some other internet security package.

Now you're talking!
Get rid of that Symantec/Norton bloatware crap. There are tons of people on our forums who have nothing but problems with it!
Go for the easy-on-your-modem freeware such as AVG from www.grisoft.com and the free personal firewall from either www.kerio.com or www.agnitum.com
That way you are well protected.
You could also consider installing Mozilla's Thunderbird email and Firefox browser.
They are faster than their M$ counterparts and definitely a whole lot safer!

Well, the Symantec helpline was unable to suggest anything better! At least they did not charge me as they threatened to do.

In case anyone is still interested, what eventually worked for me in the end was a recommendation from the Symantec support line to disable the scanning of outgoing emails. They explained that when an email is sent, it is first sent to Norton for scanning, and then passed on from Norton to the internet. As far as Outlook is concerned, the email has been sent once it has been passed to Norton for scanning, and it automatically disconnects the dial-up connection. If the email is more than about 200kb, Norton will probably not have finished scanning and passing the email to the internet, which is why it displays an error message that the connection was terminated before it had finished sending the message. What they also explained is that un-checking the ‘scan outgoing email’ box is not sufficient to disable the scanning of outgoing emails. They told me which other boxes to un-check, most of which did not obviously relate to the scanning of outgoing emails. If anyone wants to know, I shall provide this information.

This still does not explain why I did not have the same problem on my old PC.

Incidentally, although Norton say they charge for telephone support, at no time was there any attempt to charge me for my calls. Also, reinstalling Norton has started my year's subscription again from day 1. I'd still prefer to have saved all that wasted time.

If you still insist on continuing with that Norton/Symantec rubbish (I try hard to say it nicely, but I can't), you'd better put all those switches back ON.
Instead, change the setting in Outlook to NOT automatically disconnect when it is done with sending/receiving email. Disconnect manually when the lights in that icon have gone out.
BTW, Outlook is installed by Office, Outlook Express by IE.
Better change over to Mozilla's Thunderbird/Firefox combination.

Never had a problem with Norton. Then again, I use thunderbird for email.

I also use norton corporate.

What they also explained is that un-checking the ‘scan outgoing email’ box is not sufficient to disable the scanning of outgoing emails. They told me which other boxes to un-check, most of which did not obviously relate to the scanning of outgoing emails. If anyone wants to know, I shall provide this information.

What where the other boxes??:knock:

Apologies for delay - coming soon

My apologies to those still waiting for the details I promised. I have made a note to bring them in to work with me tomorrow and post them.

How to disable outgoing email scanning by Norton

This should prevent the error message ‘Your email message to <email address of recipient> with the subject <email subject> was unable to be sent…’ (1003,9)

Open Norton Internet Security
On the Options menu, click Norton Antivirus
In the Norton AntiVirus Options window under Internet, click Email
Under What to scan, uncheck Scan outgoing email (Recommended)
Click OK
On the Options menu click Norton Internet Security
On the Email tab, under Email scanning, uncheck Tray icon
Under Email scanning, uncheck Progress Indicator
Click ok
On the Options menu click Norton AntiSpam
On the left side of the window, under Email, click Filtering
Uncheck Use outgoing email to improve Norton AntiSpam filtering (recommended)
Click OK
On the main Norton screen, disable Privacy Control
:wave:

Looking for a solution to my norton problme

I have never been on a forum despite using a computer for 20 years. I was so frustrated by Norton 2005 anti-spam that I googled it and came across this site. Seems I am not the only one to be frustrated. I've used their virus protection software in the past without problems but 2005 seems to be a hunk of junk. Not only does their antispam software not catch things even though I have tried to train it,but the toolbar that lets me tell the program that it's spam disappears.Even when it is there it takes a least a minute to iniatilize which seems ridiculous. With 2005 norton it takes for ever to reboot which is the only solution I have found so far. Oh and did I mention their help is hopeless? Not sure what happens now but will submit new thread.

Ok now I have found figured out where to post this. I am using windows 2000 does anybody know how to keep the anti-spam toolbar there? I am passing on the other advice to my husband who has windows XP and has had all the problems. the other members describe. I guess we may have to get new software but hate to have all that extra expense.

I'm afraid I know nothing about an 'anti-spam toolbar', as I banned anything Norton/Symantec from my PCs YEARS ago. That bloatware will never pass my (virtual) doorstep ever again.

But if you want to get rid of your Norton/Symantec (highly advisable!) you can do so without paying a dime.
Surf to http://free.grisoft.com and get their free AVG antivirus program. Loads of forum-members (including myself) use it with great success.
Then go to http://www.agnitum.com and get their free version of the Outpost firewall or go get another free firewall from http://soho.sygate.com

Uninstall that bloatware crap, and install those 2 programs. Your PC will award you with much faster running and response times.

I don't use norton anti-virus in the suite version. I use norton corporate anti-virus. Norton firewall is not very good and I used Zonealarm. Norton utilities, however, is excellent and I have used it for years.

Norton 2005 suite has gotten poor reviews. I still use my original Norton 2003.

No-need for anti-spam. Get a copy of thunderbird. It's a smart email browser and much better than outlook. Best of all, it's free.

www.mozilla.org

thanks for this suggestion I am a little worried about changing to another email as I also use a PDA. It took a long time to get it to sync correctly. I honestly don't care if I cannot sync my inbox for email but every time I install new software it seems something else does not work. I was a Mac user years ago and am thinking of just being radical and going back to a Mac.

Thanks for the legwork

Just wanted to thank Chris N for blazing the trail here and for the other relevant advice. NIS 2005 is now in recycling and AVG is doing a great job. Outlook (for what its worth) is functioning nicely and I can get back to work, for me, not Symantec.

Transformer said:
Just wanted to thank Chris N for blazing the trail here and for the other relevant advice. NIS 2005 is now in recycling ...
I trust you're feeling all the better for it. I must say that before my enlightenment I ran Norman Anti-Virus 2002 and that did coexist with Outlook 2000.

If you're running more than one machine consider the network version of AVG. This has an Admin module and it'll throw the updates to all machines. Peace of mind and a little extra drinking time. ;)

This looks good Chris; I've had real success with NAV/NIS on XP (not win/98se) and I NEVER enter anything under PRIVACY CONTROL! Let me see here -- you want me to enter the data which I never want to go outbound? Dahhhhh-- I just never enter it and thus it's never recorded-- ANYWHERE and thus can't be scammed, trojaned, nor keylogged!

Personally, I like NIS and the ease of controlling the firewall. I have multiple environments (home, office, friend's, hot-spots) and Norton allows unique management of each. Your milage may vary :)
Chris N said:
Open Norton Internet Security
On the Options menu, click Norton Antivirus
In the Norton AntiVirus Options window under Internet, click Email
Under What to scan, uncheck Scan outgoing email (Recommended)
Click OK
On the Options menu click Norton Internet Security
On the Email tab, under Email scanning, uncheck Tray icon
Under Email scanning, uncheck Progress Indicator
Click ok
On the Options menu click Norton AntiSpam
On the left side of the window, under Email, click Filtering
Uncheck Use outgoing email to improve Norton AntiSpam filtering (recommended)
Click OK
On the main Norton screen, disable Privacy Control

Internet Security 2005 Configuration failed then no internet

Hi guys ok heres what has happened: My Norton Internet Security 2005 got corrupted as it was saying my subscription has run out when i hav only had to it 2 months right then it said it was vaild and the date was 1899 which clearly is way past our time right so really it was corrupted so i went to symantec support they said to reinstall the whole lot so i did that restarted then installed it again then restarted again then my windows crashed abit like i tryed goin into add/remove programs it said" Cannot find the application" and said that for all of the things in control panel so clearly it has done somethink so i had to do a system restore in Safe mode to fix that problem thats all workin fine now but when i try n install Internet Security 2005 again it installs but when it trys to configure it FAILS then my internet totally stops working all together like try to open Explorer saying "Cant find page" and msn and everythink is stoped workingso unless its the configuration failed thats canceling my internet i dont no but i dont no why its saying configuration failed but when i remove norton internet security 2005 the internet works fine so its got to do with Norton some one plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back