Just installed XP Home and Pro on partition but boot options dont work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Could do with some help as I have tried for days to get it to work but my brain is now sore and have reached the end of my teather!!

Now here is where iam up to.

1:Installed XP Home, fresh install onto my laptop with 1 hard disc.
2:Installed Partition magic 8.0.
3:Split my hard drive into 2 partitions of equal size using partition magics install another operating system wizard.
4:Installed XP Pro onto second partition with Partition magic also.
5:Tried to modify boot.ini file to this-

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Now this only works if you are booting the current operating system that is set to active and it will not boot to the hidden partition. The only way I can switch is by using the PQboot for windows(in PM tools) and select the other partition to active on reboot. This is a bit of a pain and I also would rather stay away from the option of another programme like bootmagic at startup.

Both systems boot up fine but now I am stuck :confused: .

Could any one help with this little problem all i want is dos to be able to boot up both systems other wise I will put my head under this guys hammer :knock:

Since these are fresh installs, why not delete the partitions,PartitionMagic and format the disk with the tools on the XP installation Disk.Then just cleanly install your two XP's ;Pro first.
Partition magic just adds more files and stuff to your MBR and windows has enough bloat already.

Have just found out that windows booter will not recognise the Partitionmagics partition and i need to install bootmagic to make it work.

The problem is it needs to install to a fat format, now both my partitions are ntfs and dont know how to add the fat format to install bootmagic?

Any one shed some light on this would be very grateful :D

ntfs although very secure and the best for XP is a oneway trip.I know it is a little work but follow my original advice.You do not need bootmagic.The Fdisk and formatting software on the XP disks do a fine job and you won't have to add anything to dual boot Home and Pro.

Cheers for your advice but before i go down that route i need to clarify a few of the steps needed.

1: When i reinstall XP pro and do a reformat of my c drive is it then i get the option to create a seperate partition and then i choose where to install XP pro on?

2:So when i want to install XP home I will have the choice to install it on the free partition?

3:Thats it, will windows take care of the boot files ect or will i need to tweak them?

Nice 1 :wave:

When you boot from the XP disk there will be an option to setup your HDD .Take your time and read the steps involved,for the Setup screens. You will be able to : Delete the existing partitions and create new ones, Format the new partitions ( NTFS or Fat 32)Then Install XP pro on the first Active primary partition (the rest can be made by dividing up an Extended partition into logical disks.) .After you have successfully loaded Pro, Boot the computer with the Home Disk. This time you will pick one of the partitions you made earlier(NOT The partition with Pro on it)You do not have to format if you already have with Pro and go ahead and install.
Windows will add any files it needs to the boot file to allow you to choose which XP to load(This is Automatic) . Each time you boot if you do not choose one of your Windows will load (Default is for the first install copy but you can alter your choice)

PS. Sorry I just realized you have Xp on your disk,allthat means is that the CD will ask to repair that installation .Press ESC or no ? and move to setup .

Excellent thats all i need to know, thanks for the all the help Liquidlen :grinthumb

Hope this is helpful to others

Liquidlen said:
When you boot from the XP disk there will be an option to setup your HDD .Take your time and read the steps involved,for the Setup screens. You will be able to : Delete the existing partitions and create new ones, Format the new partitions ( NTFS or Fat 32)Then Install XP pro on the first Active primary partition (the rest can be made by dividing up an Extended partition into logical disks.) .After you have successfully loaded Pro, Boot the computer with the Home Disk. This time you will pick one of the partitions you made earlier(NOT The partition with Pro on it)You do not have to format if you already have with Pro and go ahead and install.
Windows will add any files it needs to the boot file to allow you to choose which XP to load(This is Automatic) . Each time you boot if you do not choose one of your Windows will load (Default is for the first install copy but you can alter your choice)

PS. Sorry I just realized you have Xp on your disk,allthat means is that the CD will ask to repair that installation .Press ESC or no ? and move to setup .

Hi,
I think I just read somewhere that a primary partition is the only type of partition suitable to house an OS, logical disks apparently are not suitable. Don't recall where I read it.

You only read half of it. W95/98/ME need an active primary partition on the master on IDE1 to be able to boot, AND they need to be installed into it.
W2K and XP can go anywhere you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back