Norton Protected Recycle Bin Pains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded my xp machine sp2 to Norton 2005 from Norton Systeworks with Norton Protected Recycle Bin. I made the big mistake and I didn't disable said utility prior to systemworks uninstall. The result is that my recycle bin is still called "Norton protected Recycle bin", but it doesn't open with a double click (I have to right click on it and select open) and the associated nprotect folder still shows on my second hard drive when I do a virus scan but I can't seem to locate and erase with explore....
I was able to rename the folder to Recycle Bin but those other 2 big annoyances still persist. I'm aware that Norton offers advice on this, unfortunately it involves uninstalling and reinstalling Norton 2005.

Does anybody know of a method to restore the Recycle Bin to its default without doing that?

Thanks!

AFAIK you should be able to rightclick on the Recycle Bin on your desktop, select properties and disable the Norton bin. You need to do this for EVERY drive that has a bin on it (should also be accessible within properties). Finally I think you can rename it again, or that is done automatically when you disable the Norton function.
You can also delete all the Norton protected files AFAIK (they are not the real files, just references).
To be sure, just take a restore point before you start.

if you cant access recycle bin and if wat RealBlackStuff told you to do, doesn't work then you can permanently delete files by pressing Shift Key and delete.

norton protected bin

i cannot double click and also cannot right click the norton protected recycle bin.. anyone knows whats the problem and how to solve it ?
many thanks !! :dead:

the NPROTECT folder is hidden by default, so if you cannot see it, go to your folder options

tools [menu within explorer, or use control panel | folder options] > folder options > View tab

click the radio button for Hidden files and folders > Show hidden files and folders

Click OK

then ..

try cutting and pasting the NPROTECT folder into the parent folder, i.e.

go into RECYCLER/

cut NPROTECT

press backspace to go up one folder

paste

delete the NPROTECT folder, empty your recycle bin.

hope this helps

RB

I am having similar problems... BUT WORSE. Every time i right click on my recycle bin to "purge my files" my explorer crashes!
I used to be able to free 1gig by purging, and i need that now more than ever seen as a few gigs have gone missing.
I really would like to know what files are deleated when you "purge" your files. Is there any way i can manually do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back