XP Gaming Machine Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

I thought this might come in handy to all you Hardcore Gamers who want to get a little more from your system.

Instead of disabling HW and stopping services for gaming, create a Hardware Profile.

Right click on My Computer - select Properties. Select Hardware Tab, then click Hardware Profiles.

Mark "Original Configuration", then Copy and then Rename to e.g "Game" Now you have created a menu that shows up when you boot your computer. Set the properties for your boot option in the "Hardware profiles selections" You normally would boot with the Original Configuration. Never delete your "Original Configuration" if you boot in another profile. Reboot your computer to see that this takes effect.

Now, tweak the different services for a Game Machine listed below:

The services in the list below can be changed to the manual setting to free up resources.

Routing and Remote Access
Alerter
Application Layer Gateway Service (only if firewll is not used)
Application Management
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
ClipBook
COM+ System Application
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
Help and Support
IPSEC Services
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
Net Logon
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
NT LM Security Support Provider
Performance Logs and Alerts
Portable Media Serial Number
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
Server
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
SSDP Discovery Service
System Restore Service
Telnet
Themes
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Volume Shadow Copy
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Windows Installer
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter
Fast User Switching Compatibility (only if fast user shiching is not used or the machine have one user only)
Protected Storage
Windows Time
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Task Scheduler
Secondary Logon
Print Spooler ** (only if the pc do not have or use a printer)
Indexing Service
Error Reporting Service
Computer Browser
Internet Connection Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Select each service to configure, right-click, select Properties, Choose "Log on" tab. In the lower part of this box select "Disable" or "Enable" dependent on which hardware profile you configure. If you configure for "Game" you choose "Disable" to free up system resources.

*NOTE: You can also disable/enable different hardware in the Device Manager - "Device Usage" box according to what Hardware profile you boot on, this is only recommended if you have any hardware that causes problems for games, etc.

Also; if you configure Virtual Memory according to this:

1.) Go into Control Panel and into Performance and Maintenance
2.) Get into System
3.) Click the Advanced Tab
4.) In the Performance Frame, click on Settings
5.) Once in Settings click on the Advanced Tab
6.) Now under Virutal Memory click on Change
7.) Here you can set your RAM value. The recommended increase you should make should be achieved by multiplying your RAM by 1.5. This is already done if you have a System Managed file size. I like to increase it by 1/5 of my actual hard-drive space. This will drastically increase performance, because the system will now have a pool of cache to retrieve memory from.

you should set "Initial Memory" and the "Maximum" to be the same to avoid this pagefile to be defragmented, i.e you get better performance. Use 384 MB pagefile if you have installed 256 MB RAM. (256MBx1.5=384MB, Microsoft.)

*NOTE: If you have 512 MB or more RAM, you may want to consider disabling the PF, or set it no higher than the amount of Physical RAM.

If you used XP "clean-up" on your hardisk, then defragmented it, the PC would perform even better. Enjoy.

The guide above should work on w2k too, as they're both able to use different hardware profiles...

Guess I'll do that before my next LAN party :)

I have 256 mb ram and in virtual memory it sais RAMvalue is 768 MB. Is this good? or wrong? it also sais recommended is 382 mb ram. i am running windows xp prof.

The recommended value of the Pagefile is 1.5 x the physical RAM, so 384 MB should be the recommended size and the size you should probably be using. Set the minimum and maximum size at 384MB. Having too large of a pagefile can actually slow down the system.

What values, the pagefile? Right click My Computer, click Properties. A dialog box will open, click the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. Another box will open, click the Advanced Tab, under Virtual Memory, click Change and it will allow you to specify the size and location of the Pagefile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back