Unable to delete 50Gb of files / Norton Recycle bin (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilesp

I noticed via diskspace explorer that I had a lot of missing storage capacity on both my harddrives and proceeded to empty the norton protected recycle bin as well as the windows' one.

This didn't really help and I proceeded with unactivating Norton Protected Recycle bin for both HD's. By doing that I could (in diskspace explorer) see a recycler map on either HD (ca 46Gb on master HD and 12 Gb on secondary) and could delete a couple of Mb's worth of files but when I tried deleting the other files (all only saying 'file' in the type-field) an error message reading 'Unable to delete file. Unable to read from source file or source drive' (a rather loose translation from swedish btw). I tried changing attributes in cmd and deleting them there but only says that it is unable to change the attributes or delete the files.

I tried moving the folder (again in diskspace explorer) from the root on the secondary hd to another folder which actually worked but didn't help squat and now I can't even move it back.

Any solutions? Going crazy here.

Nopes

Sadly, it did not work - Norton Protecyed RB is disabled but the files still persist (or the references are still taking up space if that is perhaps a more exact description).

Tried erasing with Wipe Info but it failed with every single file.
Tried disk doctor but only said that it didnät have exclusive rights to the harddrives and that it could schedule a new check but only repeats with the same problem.

2 things you can try and or a combination of both...
Try deleting them one at a time...
Try in Safe Mode...

patio. :cool:

thnx for the tips but i've already tried them without success. These are, as far as I know, references made by Norton Protected Recycle Bin and then kind of forgotten or something like it so they don't seem to actually exist (although they still occupy real space); the folder is real enough and takes up so-and-so much of space and the files seem real enough and takes up a specified amount of space but if you right-click and check properties they're all 0kb and if you try to delete them they're not readable...

Try this:
1. Close all open programs.
2. Open a command prompt.
3. Right-click the taskbar, and select Task Manager.
4. On the Processes tab, select Explorer.exe, and click the End Process button.
5. Minimize Task Manager, but don't close it.
6. At the command prompt, use the Delete command to remove the file/folder, and close the command prompt.
7. In Task Manager, go to File | New Task (Run).
8. In the Create New Task dialog box, enter Explorer.exe, and click OK.
9. Close Task Manager

Nopes, didn't work either. Just says "File can't be found" (another translation)
Used the "del nprotect" command as well as the "del filename" command.
The "del recycler" just returned that "C:\recycler\*. can't be found"
Is there another command available? tried deltree but that wasn't an acutal command according to my prompt.

Any other possible solutions?

How about uninstalling Norton to see if that helps to delete those files? Even if the uninstall itself doesn't do it, it may facilitate the deletion. Afterwards, you can reinstall.

Oh my god, the delinvfile utility on the page you linked to actually worked wonders - all folders are gone and I have ca 55Gb more available space!

Thanks a whole lot! (although I feel a little silly that I jsut minutes before uninstalled the whole systemworks package!)

That's excellent. I posted the topic in Utilties forum for others to find easier. 50Gb restored, Hmm that's not bad. :)

I never both with norton protection. I have always turned this function off - it seems super redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back