How to copy a Windows XP CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed recordable CD of Windows XP in my computer. But I wanna have a spare CD-ROM of Windows XP. My computer has only one CD-Rom drive to write or copy. I want some instructions on how to write Windows XP CD on a new CD-ROM.
Thank you
Windows XP

right click on the drive where the disc is
go to explore left click
copy all these files to hard drive
then burn them as iso image

Genti_Cane,

You can obviously do what Samstoned said, as that is correct but an 'easier' way is to use one of the many freeware and shareware programs that are out there.
If all you want to do is to copy a CD then I would really recommend Easy CD clone (www.cd-clone.com, very simple, all it does is copying CDs but it does it very well

just my 5 pence

cd burner

I followed the steps showed by Samstoned. i have some problems with burning the folders as iso image. I have no CD burner in my computer. I tried to install a CD creator by donwloading microsoft service pack 2 but it takes a long time to do that... i have a dial up internet connection so it takes too much to download 200 MB file... if you know any other short way to do that, please instruct me how to proceed with burning as iso imageCD

creating an ISO from files?
if so, download this - http://unattended.msfn.org/files/global/CDIMAGE_GUI.EXE

put it in its own folder and run it.

1,open the file with the yellow smiley face icon - cdimagegui
2, on the directories tab of the staryp menu, select the folder where you have extracted the cd contents to, and select the location and name of the ISO file you would like to create (what it's called and where you want to put it)
3,go to the config menu (on the left) and then switch to the boot tab. select the file boot.img, found in the same folder as cdimagegui.exe. Make the volume lable whatever you like.
4, go to the creation menu on the left, and then click start image creation on the bottom left.

This will create a winXP cd that will be bootable when burned to CD.

You can burn ISO images to disk by using the cdburn tool from the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit.
Once the kit is installed, open a command prompt by going to Start>Run>"cmd" (no quotes). Type "cdburn" (no quotes), and it will tell you how to burn the image.

The ways described above are fine, but there's a quicker, easier way (and takes only 1.5MB of downloads).

First, go here and download Nlite:
http://www.nliteos.com/
It's a great little app for customizing your XP install, but we're going to use it's nifty little feature to create bootable images :)

So, now for the procedure:
Copy the whole XP CD's contents to some folder on your harddrive.
Run Nlite, choose option 'Create Bootable ISO', dont touch anything,
click next, name your iso, click Save.

Thats all there is to it, very fast and very easy!

Now open any burning program and burn the ISO.

ok you got no burner let me rephrase
don't burn the image just copy it somewhere else to drive for now
yesssh
oh ya buy a cd writer that might help
and as others have stated (googlize your world), and do search lots of apps out there to make iso images

Sigh, just skimmed through replies and missed that you dont even have a CD-burner :(

If you want to make a backup, just copy all of the XP CD's contents to some safe folder on a disk (preferably a partition you just use for backup etc.) and that's it!
No need to make an image if you dont have a CD-burner.
Later when you actually buy it, you can use this folder with Nlite to create a bootable XP CD and burn it...

So no need for anything now, just copy the whole CD to disk.

Btw, you'll be able to start the install from the disk too, and it can be a whole lot faster than installing from the CD.

Yes yes, with no CD burner you won't be able to make a backup disc or Windows XP. You can pick up a CDRW drive for pretty cheap these days and it's fairly easy to install, if you need help installing it, just let us know.

And new CDRW drives come with software such as Nero that you can use to make CD copies. Just so you know, it is illegal to make copies of Windows CD.

But you do need to use some kind of burning software to copy the CD so it copies the boot sector as well.

Also if you don't have service pack 2 installed, that means that your system is pretty vulnerable to hacker and virus attacts. See if you can download service pack 2 from a friend's computer with highspeed or even an internet cafe or something and burn it to CD and install it.

It is NOT illegal to make copies of Windows CDs.
You can burn as many as you want.
It's the CD-key or rather the CoA (Certificate of Authenticity) that counts.
XP-CoAs can only be used on 1 PC.
Try to install it on another PC, and you won't be able to activate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back