Computer won't start... with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching forums all over and think I might have a unique story here that I hope those more computer literate can solve.

Last night, I was awoken from sleep when my computer (which was shut down and NOT on stand by) started to go crazy. The mobo LED started blinking and all the fans (including the CPU fan) started spinning in whenever the mobo LED blinked. I unplugged then replugged the PC but the same problem persisted. When I pressed the power button, nothing happens. I've already checked to make sure my case's front panel connectors are securely fastened to the mobo. I just don't understand how a PC that was working perfectly find suddenly crapped out on me overnight. Any ideas would be welcomed.

I built my PC with components from Newegg about a month ago and it has

asus A8N premium
seasonic 600w
AMD 4000 San Diego
XFX 7800GT
Corsair Valuselect 1gb
Seagate 250gb Sata
Thermaltake Armor case

I sure do have a surge protector. That's what I thought at first too but the surge protector was fine and there were no indications of a surge.

thats weird... now that i read that it was OFF then it just turn on and started to blink...

It didn't actually turn on. My pc won't turn on period. Instead, the fans spin every second and the LED on the mobo flashes every second as well. That's what the PC does when I plug it in. I do feel the PSU fan humming quietly.

Do you have any other PSU you can use to try?
cause if i can remeber my sis Compaq was doing the same thing late month...
when i pushed the power button the front led start blinking and thats it... i had to buy a new PSU for it.

I don't have a second psu so i'll probably buy one and return it after i test with it.

The thing is, the LED flashes once I plug the PC in and the fan starts, not when I press the power button. Back when the PC was working, the LED used to be a solid green when the PC was plugged in (but obviously no fan action).

Second thing i did after i unplugged and plugged the power plug was change the socket on the surge protector. No dice.

If it is indeed the power unit, I just don't understand how it could have zonked out. If i don't know what happened, there is no way to prepare for and avoid it in the future. Scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back