Hello, Need Help in opening a document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkaddict

Hello,

Hope somebody can help me...

Here's the problem...my wife and I got a different computer and my wife has been writing a book. She's actually in the process of 2 sequels.
Well, usually when she writes, every so often she burns a copy of her book just to have as a backup...

Well, we have Microsoft Works on this comp and that's how it's been saved before cause we had Works on the other comp too...

Well, when we try to open her book from Disk, it opens, but everything loox like Squares and bunches on Y's with lines over them...

Her name in the save file on the disk is...titleofbook.wps

But like I said, when we click on it, everything shows as Squares and weird Y's...

Does anybody here know how we can remedy this? So we can click it and it shows up correctly? We don't know what to do and it's bringing the Mrs. to tears...HELP?!

Also, the place where we got this comp, we went there today and tried some of her Disks, and they all showed up correctly and we're using the same program as them...

If we take it to them to remedy, we can't until the first of the week and I don't know how long the Mrs.' nerves will last...please help us..

Yes, a converter will most certainly attempt to convert the wps into a word .doc file - however, if the file is corrupt i'm not sure that the converter would work.

you mention that the shop were able to open the files and they are using the same version of Works? this just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Try reinstalling Works (your new PC would have come with the Works CD).

Alternatively, you could take it to the shop and ask them to save the file again, but instead of saving it as a .wps file - get them to save it as a .rtf file.

RTF - Rich Text Format - is a format that can be opened in Word, Works and many other Word Processing applications.

maybe try copying the files to the C drive first... then try opening them from there.

One last thing i just thought - does your current new PC have the correct (and SAME) Font type installed.

ie - if the book has been written in Verdana font on the old PC, does your new one have Verdana installed?

To check the fonts - go to Start, Control Panel, Fonts. This is obviously depandant on whether your wife can remember which Font she used.

If she can, then browse the Fonts folder to see if it's there. If it is, then double click it and then click Done on the window that opens - that will re-install that font if it has somehow become 'lost' on the PC.

If it's not - then just google the font and get a download of it.

Let us know how you get on...

what program was the original document written in?

I highly suggest BOTH of you start using Free openoffice. Fully compatible with word and adobe and other formats. Best of all it's FREE.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If it is in works (A piece of garbage program foisted on newbie computer users), you'll need a converter - easier said than done.

Hi everybody, I want to thank you for all the advice and suggestions, much appreciated...

Ok, here's what's going on....my wife called the place where we got this comp and they told her to bring it back Monday 3-27....
But Friday, we went down, borrowed her Dad's laptop, and the disk opened up perfectly...

My wife noticed something, it seems to open fine for Windows XP...see, our old laptop that went kaplooey, was Windows XP...

And she asked the comp place what Windows they had when opening the disk, and they said Windows XP...

So, do ya's think that since she wrote and saved on a Windows XP, then Windows XP is the thing to have?

Did you already check which font your wife used when she was doing the file? I suggest you follow what meatologist said.

You may want to re-establish the file-type.
Right-click any of your .wps files, then select Open with.. then Choose Program.. and select your Works/word program. Make sure to check the box "Always use the selected program..." before you click OK.

I forgot to ask her if she knows what font she used..my fault...I'll need to check with her on that...

Now, we have done the other thing, where we try the Open With thing, and we've chosen Microsoft Works and it still opens as a bunch of Squares...

Today, we're taking the comp to the place we got it from and maybe the dude can find out what's up....if we find out, I'll be sure to let you's know...

Thanx again for all the help on this...

like RBS said, apparantly the file was saved in a different FORMAT. Check the file type. Formats (file types) are different and are not interchangable. i.e. DOC to PDF. DOC to ODT, etc....

even different editions of word have different formats... although their compatibility is better.

Openoffice uses the universal Opendocument Format supported by OASIS conference.
Word uses a proprietary format. Although Word 2007 is supposed to have a version of ODF format (but how compatible or how close it follows the OASIS ODF protocol is up to debate and controversy.)

Hi everybody,

Well, got the comp back and it's working great now...opens her disk up perfectly....

The comp guy got things wrong, where he thought he had MS Works 4.5, well, he didn't...he had MS Works 8.0, no wonder it opened her MS Works Save of 6.0....so, all is well again..yay...

Thanx again everybody for all the help/suggestions...

I saved this place as a fav cause it's a nice place to learn stuff and all of you have been great to meet and converse with...

Peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back