Want to Upgrade graphics card for Dell Dimension 4700

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooglek

A Previous Post asked the same question, but limited it to $100 and was asked 6 months ago.

I'd like to pose the same question, with a limit of $230 street value. Stability is VERY important to me, in addition to a good video card for a good price. PCI-e interface; currently have a Radeon X300SE (ouch).

I've looked at the ATI AIW X1900, which looks great, but requires 30 Amps of power; my measly dell power supply only provides 18 Amps on the +12V rail. Plus it is 10" long; I haven't looked since the power supply won't handle it, but it might be too long too. At NewEgg for $229.99.

The XFX GeForce 7900 GT (470MHz) 256MB (PV-T71G-UDF7) is available at NewEgg for $224.99 after rebates. The Customer Reviews paint a 50%-of-the-time ugly picture with lockups/freezing/bluescreens though.

Are there some bargains to be had in my price range? I know the X1900 and 7900GT are some of the better cards out there, but the two lowest priced cards in my price range either won't work or have some questionable reviews.

Advice, suggestions, articles appreciated.

ooglek said:
I'd like to pose the same question, with a limit of $230 street value. Stability is VERY important to me, in addition to a good video card for a good price. PCI-e interface; currently have a Radeon X300SE (ouch).

Just found the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1800XT 256MB on NewEgg for $229.99. Haven't checked the forums for reviews on this yet, but has anyone had any stability problems with this sucker?

nickslick74 said:
Also, your power supply will not work with these high powered cards. Some good reliable brands are Enermax, Fortron, thermaltake, and Antec.

*laugh* I think we found the same card at the same time -- thanks though.

As for Power Supplies, I guess I need a new one -- 305W ain't enough. I don't want to spend a lot, and I want quiet. Any suggestions on a nice balance? Is 450W enough or do I need more?

Also, I have no idea what kind of PSU I have -- ATX, ATX12V, ATX12V, EPS12V, MicroATX? I don't want to spend $148 + shipping on a power supply. This PSU from NewEgg $29.99 seems that it might work. 430W enough?

nickslick74 said:
Yeah, 450 should be good as long as it has at least 28 amps on the 12 volt lines (some psu's have one 12v line and some have multiple). Your Dell most likely has a standard ATX power supply.

Crap. My dell is a BTX (WTF?), not ATX, 24pin rather than a 20pin. Do I need a dual 12 volt rail if I go with the X1800? And I assume that the X1800 with the xtra fan port will work if I have an open slot next to my PCIe slot?

I think I'll get the OCX 450W PSU.

BTX... interesting. The power supply looks good, OCZ is another good brand. You don't need dual 12v lines as long as the single line has enough power. As long as you aren't running a huge system (multiple hdd's, tons of ram etc...) the psu you posted should work just fine.

Cool. Yeah, BTX is strange, go Dell. You can't beat Dell if you hate building your own, but man are they a pain to upgrade. Punks.

I purchased the OCZ and the SAPPHIRE X1800XT. I'll post again once it works (or doesn't). This is why I like Dell -- they test and if it breaks, they come to your house to fix it. They are just limited in their options for Video Cards.

Thanks again nickslick74 for your help and advice. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back