A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enreina

Can anybody help me? I've been getting this message :

"A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"

I got this message in these places : Yahoo messenger, Windows live messenger, internet explorer, control panel, and program files.

Please help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try this.

Common script errors messages can be eliminated by Clicking:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click Advanced.
4. Click to select the Disable script debugging check box.
5. Click to clear the Display a notification about every script error check box.
6. Click OK.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

If that doesn`t work,this from HERE

There are situations when a Web page contains script that takes an unusually long time to run.
There will be a warning message after a certain number of statements has been processed.

The solution is to increase the default number of statements,before the warning is given

1.Go to Start/Run/type :regedit

Open this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Styles

(If the Styles key is not present, create a new key that is called Styles.)

2.Right click anywhere in the right pane and create a new DWORD value called "MaxScriptStatements"
(copy and paste that in to the name box) and set the value to the desired number of script statements.

Try 8,000,000 to start with.

Be careful editing the registry.Back up the key first.

Some other screenshots...

here's the log :

Attachments

• yahoo.jpg
    yahoo.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IE.jpg
    IE.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 26
  • programfiles.jpg
    programfiles.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 20
  • hijackthis.log
    3.6 KB · Views: 24
Your system is infected with a Trojan downloader, as well as some other nasties.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of enreina only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Here are the logs...

AVG Anti-Rootkit : No rootkit

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    3.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Report-Scan-20070317-181241.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 8
  • ComboFix.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 9
You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

npkcsvc

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

npkcsvc.exe
LimeWire.exe
hope roam cdrom.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 10.19.19.19:9201<Fix this if you didn`t set this proxy yourself, or don`t know what it is.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BaseScr] C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\APPLIC~1\DATARE~1\hope roam cdrom.exe

O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe

O23 - Service: npkcsvc - INCA Internet Co., Ltd. - C:\WINNT\system32\npkcsvc.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINNT\system32\npkcsvc.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\APPLIC~1\DATARE~1<Delete the entire folder.
C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Download, install and run the Prevx1 programme.

Post a fresh HJT and Combofix logs. Let me know the results of the Prevx1 scan.

This thread is for the use of enreina only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

That`s fine, your HJT log is clean.

You can uninstall Prevx1 now if you want along with the rest of the stuff you downloaded in the instructions.

Here are the programmes I recommend you keep/install. I know you already have already some of these.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

That`s a shame, obviously it`s not a malware problem as your system is now clean.

I have therefore moved your thread to our windows OS forum. Hopefully, someone will know how to solve your IE problem there.

Next up -

Disable third-party tool bands and Browser Helper Objects

To manually disable the tool bands and Browser Helper Objects:

1.Close all instances of Internet Explorer, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2.Double-click Internet Options.

3.Click the Advanced tab.

4.Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.

5.Restart Internet Explorer.

The registry version:

These steps change the value data for the "Enable Browser Extensions" String value to "No" in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

From HERE

If you get desperate HERE are 15 alternatives to Windows Explorer until you find a solution.

Firefox could replace IE as well.

@Po`Girl
Still doesn't work...
Actually I rarely use IE. But because my Yahoo Messanger show that message too, I cannot use it now. And when I opened a folder filled with picture files (thumbnail view), the message also showed..

Please help!

@howard_hopkinso
Thanks for helping me remove the trojan.

enreina said:
And when I opened a folder filled with picture files (thumbnail view), the message also showed
Are you hinting it might be the old "image preview problem" -
when Windows tries to show thumbnails of image and video files,
but crashes Explorer in the process.? :)

There aren`t usually any warning messages with that, though.

Anyway the usual fix is to turn off image previews -

Go to Start/Run/and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK.

to turn them on again(if you want to) regsvr32 shmedia.dll

There are other methods HERE and a download fix for .avi files HERE

I don`t know if that`s connected to the script warning problem.

Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are basically the same thing.

If you fix one,you also fix the other.

These are my last hopes -

1.Download CCleaner and run it.

Make sure all the boxes are checked in both the Windows and Applications settings.
Also use the Issues tool.

2.Go into IE/Tools/Options/Security/Custom and uncheck all java script/active scripting boxes,
any other likely suspects.

3.Use the IE Repair Tool or reinstall IE (6) HERE

4.Uninstall IE roll back to a previous version (if you have a previous version) then
reinstall IE.HERE

5.If you have any convenient System Restore points,try that.

6.Uninstall any programs that were installed just before the problem started.

As you had a lot of spyware removed could be something
is still on there or it broke something.Try system filechecker.
Its only thing you haven`t tried.

You don`t need the cd for filechecker,just type sfc /scannow in the run box.
I`m thinking you might end up doing a reinstall

but when I run it, it says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Service Pack 4 CD now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back