0x0000007F, blue screen of death

Hi,

I am experiencing blue screen error on my HP ProBook 4520s which runs on Windows XP. It reboots frequently. The error description in the system log was as follows.

Error Code: 1000007f, Parameter1 00000008, Parameter2 b9b50d70, Parameter3 00000000, Parameter4 00000000.

I have also attached the files from minidump for your reference.

Can anybody help me please...

Thanks,
Vidhar

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    192.6 KB · Views: 14
Please list any changes that you have made prior to the crashes starting.

I will examine the minidumps later but for now follow this guide to check your memory as that is the most common cause.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

Re: Please Help. 0x0000007F, Blue screen of death

Hi Mark,

Prior to the error, my laptop got updated with windows updates and since then I am facing this issue.

I have followed your instruction and run Memtest86+ V4.10 for 10 cycles, booting from a bootable CD which I created after downloading Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) from the link you provided. The result was Pass Complete, No Errors.

I have also removed the memory modules, cleaned it with soft rubber and cloths (up and down) tried inserting each one separately every time. Still I get the same error.

Thanks,
Vidhar

Same Problem

I've been having the exact same problem on a few HP Probook 4520s.

They've passed Memtest, Windows Diagnostics Memory Tool, and the standard tests in the bios for memory. They also passed every other test as well. I've updated all drivers for each of the laptops as well, and everything for strange issues has been from Office 2003, mainly outlook and word. The bluescreens still exist with the same error code Vidhar had originally posted.

I have been seeing these issues since approximately the date of the initial post on here. Any other information I can help with I'm all for bringing up because I've tried everything I can think of to my knowledge. HP support wasn't exactly helpful and MS wanted payment for any kind of support.

I came across this thread searching for relevant information, as one of our staff reported the exact same error on their HP ProBook 4520S. I ran the onboard systemboard/memory/drive diagnostics and all tests passed. I have a known good working spare 4520S and swapped the hard drives to see if the problem would follow the drive, or the laptop itself. My spare laptop with the original staff member drive continues to intermittently BSOD. The problem obviously follows the drive.

I have not had any other reports from other users with this particular model laptop. The error was originally reported about 2 months ago. The user has had this laptop since the beginning of the year and didn't have any problems until that point.

The laptop is running Windows XP SP3 with all of the latest MS updates and drivers. I'm leaning towards a possible update that was pushed from our WSUS server that’s causing the error. That's the only thing that comes to mind after reading the other posts. The timeframe that the OP error seems to correlate with ours. I’m reluctant to contact HP or Microsoft and hope to find a resolution soon.

sspvortech, did you hear of/notice any specific software running while the BSOD comes about? I'm just curious to see if it is related to anything I've seen as well, mainly to check specific updates, because it seemed to be sometime after January that this problem cropped up for me.

zbluvstein, It just happened to me moments ago when I toggled the internal/external VGA display, (FN+F4). The laptop has Smart Board software installed and was the only program running at the time.

Most of mine came during use of Outlook and Word, though on logoff a task was hanging that related to video events for windows. I had originally thought it was a video driver issue, but those are now up to date and BSOD is still present.

Have you seen anything similar with tasks hanging on logoff? I'm going to look through in the next day or two to see if there were any updates for .Net Framework that might be relevant from that time period.

Memtest is not the best test, as indicated in my guide, It will miss minor faults. You should run your PC on one memory stick at a time to test each stick individually.

Posting you minidumps will allow further analysis of the problem. And please start you own individual threads to avoid confusion.

I am the tech guy for a small elementary school in Texas. I am having the same BSOD's and have Smart Board installed on the HP 4520's as well. I have update all drivers for softwares, hardware and XP SP3. Still having constant BSOD typically when changing video from laptop monitor to SmartBoard output. Sorry I don't have a resolution just want to post so that people know it is not a fluke just to the OP's laptop.

Vidhar, try using System Restore to take the PC back to before the windows update you mentioned and switch off auto updates. Then see if the PC runs OK.

Report back with the results.

Thought this might help. Might be similar to the known issue in the link.

ttp://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02747785&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN[/url]

mod976, We also have Smartboard software on most of the HP 4520s here and it appears that the error started back in February. The particular machine I am working on had all MS updates.We also checked for viruses, spyware, malware, etc. Still receiving BSOD. The link you provided is good information. We went ahead and looked at all the hotfixes and removed KB2393802 and updated the video driver. We'll give it a try and see if this resolves the problem.

I just want to follow up on this problem. It seems that by removing and disabling the hotfix and updating the video driver has resolved this issue. We have pushed it out to over a dozen HP 4520s and not one BSOD. Thanks to all who have posted.

Hi,

There is a simple fix.

If you are getting this blue screen when you are trying to install XP then follow the below steps.
(HP Business Laptops)
1. Restart your machine
2. Tap F10 to boot into BIOS
3. Select System Configuration on top
4. Select Device Configuration
5. SATA Device Mode - Change it to IDE , Enter to accept
6. Click on File-> Safe changes and exit
and reimage the unit with windows XP

Untitled.png

JOB Done (y)

Note: If you want to install windows vista or later then change it back to AHCI

Thanks,
Mary

Re: Please Help. 0x0000007F, Blue screen of death

Hi Mark,

Prior to the error, my laptop got updated with windows updates and since then I am facing this issue.

I have followed your instruction and run Memtest86+ V4.10 for 10 cycles, booting from a bootable CD which I created after downloading Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) from the link you provided. The result was Pass Complete, No Errors.

I have also removed the memory modules, cleaned it with soft rubber and cloths (up and down) tried inserting each one separately every time. Still I get the same error.

Thanks,
Vidhar

The minidumps are pointing to a problem with the Intel Chipset drivers Vidar

Back