$1,900 budget

EDO219

Greetings everyone. As a result of my recent lemon from CyberPower, I have decided to just build a new gaming rig myself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tonight I am going to tweak and further research some build ideas, but there is always some one on here who has some useful insights to offer. ;)

Hi PYGMUS. I'm assuming your budget excludes the cost of a monitor and peripherals such as mouse, keyboard and speakers.

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz - $299.99
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $299.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - $139.99
Seasonic SS-850HT 850W Power Supply - $119.99
2x MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - $439.98
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB - $74.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black Steel ATX Full Tower - $139.99

Total - $1,514.92

With the remaining cash you could get yourself a good aftermarket CPU HSF and other components of your choice and requirement. You could look towards getting a Blu Ray Drive or SSD if you're interested.

That build looks great, but you can save around $100 and go with a cheaper board like the GA-X58A-UD3R, unless you plan on running tri-SLI in the future.

Also, I recommend this PSU over the Seasonic; higher efficiency, and modular to boot, while being only $10 more expensive and slightly less powerful. It's a super-bargain IMHO.

Lastly, consider the Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB drive instead of the Barracuda; it's faster, and available for around the same price.

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz - $299.99
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $299.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - $139.99
Seasonic SS-850HT 850W Power Supply - $119.99
2x MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - $439.98
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB - $74.99
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black Steel ATX Full Tower - $139.99
Well done...i'd go with the gigabyte too though.
I'd go EVGA too, but there is no real reasoning behind that.

In three years or so, I did plan to add a 3rd card in SLI. The GTX 460 would be fantastic, but it can only be configured into a 2 way SLI setup. So two GTX 465's are what I was thinking of going with.

I must say, though, ... the overclocking performance of those cards did not particularly enthrall me. lol

I'd go EVGA too, but there is no real reasoning behind that.

Lifetime warranty if you register in 30 days, FTW. :D

The GTX 465s aren't really worth it. If you're willing to consider 3x CrossFireX then the HD 5850s would be the way forward...

The GTX 465s aren't really worth it. If you're willing to consider 3x CrossFireX then the HD 5850s would be the way forward...

Ah, see. This is why I like to bounce my ideas off of you guys first. lol

Just a suggestion for your consideration Pygmus, i.e. in few weeks AMD is to launch next generation of graphic solutions, so perhaps wait for it, because GTX460 will be the first target .... strategically speaking, and if they are able to deliver something better, you may get better bang for your bucks, rest of the build looks excellent (well for a change its interesting to see Rit' recommending an Intel system ;) ).

I believe this seems to be more logical choice as well, in case you can't or don't want to wait for the new generation to arrive.

And yes Gigyabyte sure is better choice for your money, IMHO. Regards

The ASUS comes with some more bells and whistles like SATA 6Gbps support, 3-way SLI/CFX support, eSATA ports, Firewire ports and a premium-quality onboard sound card and better power management etc. that favors high OCs.

Not worth paying >$150 for that stuff, IMHO.

That board will squeeze the maximum OC out of your system. So if you aren't really into that, skip it.

OCs are subjective; I've seen $100 Biostar boards beat $250+ Abit boards at OCing.

All I'm saying is that the ASUS is expensive mainly for the extra features, not specifically because it's an OC-friendly board, per se.

It seems the Gigabyte board has roughly a 1 in 5 chance to arrive DOA or die within 3 months. So, what is everyone's thoughts on the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 ... $200

I don't actually want to overclock the CPU until 3 or 4 years later, but I do want to slightly overclock the video cards. My main concern is how close the PCIe 2.0 x16 slots are. Will this board work for a 3-way GTX 465 configuration?

There is a prolific issue with this board not recognizing RAM, but I think the most recent BIOS update fixes this.

PYGMUS said:
It seems the Gigabyte board has roughly a 1 in 5 chance to arrive DOA or die within 3 months.
Going by Newegg reviews is generally not recommended. ASUS & GIgabyte are the top two brands for mobos, and I prefer Gigabyte simply because I've seen major compatibility issues (RAM in particular) with ASUS boards. Never seen any such problems with a Gigabyte board, ever.

That being said, are you still planning on running a three-card setup? Do you have a monitor capable of 2560x1600? Or are you going to be using an EyeFInity setup? Because a three-card setup will be completely overkill for anything else.

Either the X58A-UD3R ( get the Revision 2 board if possible) or the P6X58D-E that Ritwik linked to will offer pretty much everything you are likely to need.
Both the Gigabyte and Asus OC exceedingly well, both have more than enough connectivity, and both should be reasonably priced.

Going by Newegg reviews is generally not recommended.

Yeah, I'm struggling to find a larger sample though. lol

As for the video cards, the GTX 465 is indeed less powerful than the Radeon HD 5850. However, the difference in performance seems to be very minimal, especially for the $55 price difference per card. Also, SLI generally tends to scale up better than CrossfireX and the GTX 465 (EVGA superclocked model) is easily OC'd.

That being said, are you still planning on running a three-card setup?

For now, I am going with two cards. However, in 3 or 4 years I want to add a third card.

Make that two (2) years at best, I am unsure you'd be able to find a 'new' one in your proposed time frame. I've noticed that lower end / mainstream models of older generations are bit more easily available when compared with the higher end / higher mainstream level few years down the road.

after today's ati 6000 series leak I might consider waiting for them. Twice the power for roughly the same price. Although thats what the specs sheet says. It depends I suppose when you intend to purchase the components.

Back