16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. Error,missing file or what???

By r@ven
Dec 21, 2004
  1. Last days doesn`t matter how hard i`ve tried it seems that i cannot load any MS-DOS application that i could in the past.The only thing i get instead is the following message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    Close Ignore

Is anybody out there that can help me with that?Can i do anything to make my MS-DOS apllications to work again like before? I`m really confused and i wouldn`t like to format my pc.... :(
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If you run XP, try and run that game in "compatibilty mode" under e.g. a Windows98 environment.
  3. r@ven

r@ven TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tried that one....

I`ve already tryied that one with all the possible combatibilities that the pgm could have but always with the same result....Failure... :(
    And it doesn`t happen only with the game but also with all the orther MS-DOS based apps like for ex. a dictionary i have....
    I still believe that something is missing....

Thanx anyway.....
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Did you install SP2 in the last few days?
    If so, you may have to uninstall it to get those DOS-oldies going again.
    Or use an old W98 startup-floppy, boot from that (with CD-ROM support), then run that game.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.