1gb ram wont work..

By dae_amp_ika_dtp
Aug 8, 2006
  1. hi. i just bought a stick of ram. and i cant get it to boot up my compter. i removed the old stick out and replaced it with the new one and it didnt work. it gave me a beep code different than the beep code it gives me when theres no ram installed. i tried my old ram stick and it worked fine. the list says my chipset is supported. i was wondering if i have to set something in the bios before it can work? my bios is PHEONIX BIOS..and my chipset is sis648fx. the ram i got is a 1gb samsung 3200. any help would be great. thanks.
  2. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

What's your stick of ram, DDR200/266/333/ or 400 DDR SDRAM?
    If the clock speeds are really different you'll need to set this up properly in your BIOS menu.
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

reset the cmos jumper
    when I change out from 266 to 400 mhz in the servers the cmos needs reset
  4. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

its ddr 400. i'll try resetting. is it necessary though? my 512 was pc3200 400mhz as well. but yeah i'll try it later when i have time. the only thing different is i was using a 512mb 400mhz kingston. now im upgrading to a 1gb 400mhz samsung.
  5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Ok, 512 to 1GB, both single sticks. Have a look at the manual, sometimes mobo's are real sticklers for the proper slot. slot A or B if 512 or less, but only slot C if >512, else... Sometimes you have to be a goddam programmer to figure out what they mean.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.