2x 6800 or 1x 7800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbutvin

Hey all, I was wondering what would be better for my computer, two Nvidia Geforce 6800's or one 7800? Please let me know, I plan to make the purchase shortly. Thanks in advance. :)

2X6800 vs 7800

I'm about to buy a new mobo and Athlon64 2Ghz.with the 6800 card, 256MRam on board. To run 2X6800 (*which buy the way would be better then 1X7800) you need to have SLI mobo with PCI express.

I'm buying 1 card for now and then when budget allows, get the 2nd card. Of course 2X7800GT or GTX would be kick ***. This site did an excellant review of the 7800GT vs GTX and showed other cards as well.

What cards are you comparing? 6800, 6800gt, 6800Ultra sli vs 7800gt or gtx?
It'd cost more to get two cards, but perform slightly better.

hey

Hey guys just one question....Are two Geforce 6800's (Vanilla) Compatible with sli...

Right now i have a Leadtek 6800 can i hoot it up with a XFX 6800 on an ali board??

Hey guys just one question....Are two Geforce 6800's (Vanilla) Compatible with sli...

As long as they are PCIe, SLI compatiable, you buy the same brand card, and you have an SLI mobo, you can SLI them.

GeForce 7800 GTX=2×6800 Ultra

WRONG. 2 6800's are still better than one 7800GTX, but the 7800GTX performs outstandingly, there would be no need to pay extra money for 2 cards when you can get nearly the same power out of one card. Simply, 7800GTX will do anything you want it to for less money than 2x6800's

Get the single 7800. It will perform on par with the 2 6800GT's and then, when prices go down and you have more cash, you can get a second and see a big boost in performance when you need it and can afford it..

harrisdurrani said:
Is it necsassry to have two cards of the same BRAND for sli....like cant i connect a lets XFX 6800 with an eVGA 6800 ?

I thought it was, maybe at one time it was, but since SLI has advanced quite a bit, they might have worked around it. I found this and it doesn't say you need the same card, but I'll keep looking.

EDIT: But:

Can I mix and match graphics cards?
No. NVIDIA currently doesn't support SLI on two different models or from different vendors. SLI supports configurations with the same model (i.e. 6800 Ultra) from the same vendor (Vendor XYZ). A common misconception about SLI is that the BIOS revision has to be identical between the cards. This is not true. A manufacturer can revise the BIOS without affecting SLI. NVIDIA does however recommend that customers confirm SLI compatibility with the manufacturer before making a purchase.

That contradicts it. (Full link here)

7800GTX vs 6800Ultra

I was checking prices for Ontario GTA area.
What I found was:
1) Extreme PC :
MSI GeForce 7800GTX at $675.00
or MSI GeForce 6800 Ultr 256MB at $647.87

2) TigerDirect.ca
Highest Price BFG or XFX GeF 7800GTX OC at $735.99
Lowest Price, LeadTek GeF 7800GTX at $689
and BFG 6800 Ultra at $607.99

Interesting package at TigerDirect???????
What about Dual package of XFX GeF 6600GT 128MB at $499.99
The problem here is you have instant SLI mode but no where to evolve to!

Soon to be owner of K8N Neo4 Platinum 939, Athlon64 3500, IGB DDR PC3200 and whatever DARN Video card (s) I can figure to buy.

Cheers,

Disclaimer and apology

I would like to apologize to the members and moderator if I broke any rules with my above post.

I have absolutely nothing to do either of the above mention suppliers and
in no way was my post meant in a malicous manner.

It was intended for the use of our members and myself to determine a good purchase w.r.t the thread in discussion.
:eek:

Regards,

I have one 6800GT and it rips through any game I have thrown at it so far. Why would anyone get two 7800s? Just so you can say "I have 7800SLI"?

Get one for now, and the the second when (and if) you find the single 7800 isn't handing your games anymore.

That's my two yen.

Oh, but you are wrong there. American children love to have foreign coins, so I constantly bring over Japanese yen in exhange for 2 cents per coin.

In essence this means my opinions although worded as being worth 2 yen actually are worth 4 cents. Double that of normal people's 2 cent opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back