TechSpot

3200+ or Opteron??

By OnePanda
Oct 29, 2005
  1. Hey all...I've been looking around and have found that opterons (144/146 and so on) can OC really well...(going at 2.9ghz on air).
    I was about to buy a 3200+ Venice, but now I'm thinking about the Operton...

I wanted to OC the 3200+ to around 2.5-2.7+ ghz and I'd like to do the same on the Operton...the opteron seems like the better chip here, but I wanted to get some more input on this....
    Opteron has 1mb L2 cache compared to 3200+ Venice 512kb L2 cache...

Which would be better for my setup?
    Which is better for gaming?
    Is the opteron a San Diego core?
    ...also do you think there would be any problems with the rest of the comp setup?

Thanks for the help :)

2. OnePanda

OnePanda TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Sig didn't show up in the first post...

Mobo: DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D

3. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

hello onepanda, i believe the opteron prossor is for servers and do not use the sandiego core, if it was my desion i would definitry go with a 3200+ and if you can spare the cash i would go with the 3500+ vince core, i belive that the opterion motherboaards cost more and are designed for servers, the optero runs on a sledgehammer, troy, or ititly core, yourmother board is socket 939 i belive and that soket willnot work with the opertion

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Opterons are Socket940.
    Opterons are also extremely expensive.
    Instead of overclocking, buy an AMD64-4000 S939.

5. OnePanda

OnePanda TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Opterons are also sold in socket 939 models.

6. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 444

i found some opteron chips that are 939 pin and are comparable to the amd 64 chips like 3200+, etc etc... would the opteron be better in this case? i cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.