3D gaming coming to PlayStation 3 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

If the slew of 3D-related announcements of late and multitude of products shown at CES in Las Vegas are of any indication, 3D is set to become the next big thing (or flop) in the consumer electronics world. Sony of course is one of several companies making a big push into the market, with 3D HDTVs, 3D-capable Blu-ray players, and promises to bring 3D stereoscopic gaming to its PlayStation 3 console.

In a recent interview, SCEA's Director of Hardware Marketing John Koller gave a few more concrete details about the latter. Unsurprisingly, the capability is being timed to the release of new 3D Sony Bravia televisions in summer of 2010. A first firmware update will take care of the gaming part, while a separate update should enable 3D Blu-ray movie viewing on the console.

Every PS3 from the first generation to the new slim models will be able to take advantage of these features. You can read the short interview at Pocket-lint, where Koller promises to reveal an actual list of games expected to support 3D later on and touches on other topics like storage and the PlayStation Network.

Permalink to story.

SONY is a beast as it relates to vision! Am loving this despite not being able to update my current HDTV for now, but having the capabilities on the PS3 is just brilliant.

Ha Ha! I laugh in the face of anyone who actually wants 3D vision! look at the past, in the 60's it was a flop, in the 80's it was a flop and its still going to be a flop! whats soo wrong with screens today!? this is something that'll come out be big for a moment then it'll be like all 3D stuff, Junk in 6 years or so.

Its funny how this is all coming around after a reccession isn't it? all company's could do with a bit of extra cash. why not go 3D (again) and take everyones money then realise its an absolute useless technology?

when the glasses have to come off and you can actually buy some kind of 3D projector that really is a 3D model from a game or film floating in mid-air in front of you and is interactive then it might be of some use. But for the next 100 years or so. its totally, and utterly useless.

But who doesn't want to wear totally awesome 3D glasses that are incredibly uncomfortable and harmful for your vision? I mean sitting at home enjoying your HD3DTV just rolls off the tongue like it was meant to be, imagine yourself watching the news and like get this, the weather man is actually in the room with you!!

they can give 3d games but not backwards compatibility...
I think their priorities got screwed up somewhere along the way.

burty117
What are you like a 100 and been living the woods for the past 50?

3D is no longer the red and blue plastic crap glasses that was in the 50s 60s 70s and 80s.
Digital 3D is good, the glasses are light weight easy to wear and now they even have special sun glasses that you can wear and see just like normal sun glasses but when you view digital 3D images with them they work as 3D glasses. Cost around $39.95..

Come out of the woods and join the 21st century.
I can't wait for 3D gaming, will be getting a new TV as soon as prices start falling on them a bit.

Guest said:
Narrow-minded claptrap.

Guest said:
Digital 3D is good, the glasses are light weight easy to wear and now they even have special sun glasses that you can wear and see just like normal sun glasses but when you view digital 3D images with them they work as 3D glasses. Cost around $39.95..

Come out of the woods and join the 21st century.
I can't wait for 3D gaming, will be getting a new TV as soon as prices start falling on them a bit.

Granted burty117 was harsh he has a valid point. Where in the world do these companies think the consumer money is coming from? People finally adopted HDTV's over the last couple of years and more programming especially local is switching too it if it hasn't already. Now after a recession they want everyone to jump on over to the 3D bandwagon and go buy new stuff and order 3D programming? Ya, I totally see that working...

3D is fun, and a nice gimmick like it's always been. And yes, digital 3D is something entirely different then the old blue/red nonsense and it looks amazing...but it still gives off that gimmick vibe imo. And the glasses are NOT fun to wear at least for me. I do not want to be wearing glasses over glasses all the time to watch TV & definitely not the game...

I personally won't be running out and buying a new HDTV for 3D but if it comes with one I buy in the future and isn't overpriced because of it I'll be satisfied and use it occasionally. Same goes with consoles/games if it comes optional in it and isn't being forced or overpriced I'm good with it. It's nice they are adding it for the PS3 for the few who will be taking advantage of it.

Nevertheless I am a little irritated by the fact that all these companies are pushing 3D like its the next big thing. 3D is nice and I don't mind it for fun movies like Avatar when it enhances the experience. But I really don't want to be forced into it, which I feel like some are trying to do with the technology and programming. And in gaming this is a no-go, it will not add any value or immerse me into the game anymore, especially if its compensating for a bad story. More then likely it'll just give me a headache and add unnecessary deaths in multiplayer...

I don't know who you're trying to convince Guest - yourself or others. But just because 3D glasses come in "light weight plastic" now doesn't mean they're anything different than the crappy paper ones.

You still have to wear the damn glasses, the images are still fuzzy, it strains your eyes and if you already wear glasses is a royal pain in the rear. Not to mention the cost of a decent TV/monitor that will run 3D even half-way decently.

It's a dumb and still imperfect idea that for whatever reason (Avatar?) is being crammed down the consumers throats this year.

Enjoy the fad and your glasses - it'll all be gone in a year.

TorturedChaos said:
they can give 3d games but not backwards compatibility...
I think their priorities got screwed up somewhere along the way.

I think you are missing a point... If the title wasn't developed to take advantage of 3D technology, they can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly make it 3D capable. It's much easier to flatten 3D down to 2D than it is to generate 3D from 2D.

I think you are missing a point... If the title wasn't developed to take advantage of 3D technology, they can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly make it 3D capable. It's much easier to flatten 3D down to 2D than it is to generate 3D from 2D.

I thought he was referring to PS3 dropping backward compatibility for PS2 games on newer versions but adopting 3D games that very few could take advantage of vs PS2 games...

:confused:

I got the 3d vision about a month ago and it is the best thing ive ever brought for my pc, to me the games in 3d look amazing, i can play for hours with no probs. and the depth and pop out effects are great.
I`m 30 years old and it makes me smile like a little boy :)

Agreed with TomSEA, this 3D fad will die off like always in a year or to. Although they are pushing 3D Particularly hard this time round so it might take a year longer to die. I personally would like all these companys to come up with better touch screen fads than this 3D stuff. Since its now in almost all new mobile phones and smart phones, why not start creating touch screens properly and cheaply? making me buy expensive glasses which I hate wearing is a lot less attactive than a touch screen computer screen or coffee table with built-in touch screen that I can read my emails from?

And just to note to everybody who has read my first post. I know it was a little harsh but thats because its true. I have watched avatar in 3D and 2D in the cinema and for the extra few pounds it costs for 3D. EVEN though its only a few quid it really isn't worth it.

Just before Christmas I had my eyes tested as i thought I may need glasses and it turns out I have 20/20 vision. I am seeing the same 3D image everyone else in that cinema was seeing and then the next day I went to see it in 2D. I actually felt there was more detail to the picture quality!

the only bit that really felt 3D was the very start with the drop of water coming towards you. the rest was a bad moving image which appears to stutter if the image is moving near the corners of the screen.

This was not my first bad experience with 3D. UP was another one me and my mate went to see and again half way through the film we got bored wearing the glasses and took them off and the image was slightly more blury but again almost no difference.

I'm sorry to all that like 3D, but its a load of rubish. Just like it was for the past...well ever.

I can see the difference between HD and SD screens but 3D for me. Is a going backwards in time. to prove some of my crazyness heres a http://www.sensio.tv/en/3d/3d_history/default.3d to the history of 3D and link the companys that created the 3D tech to when they were in financial trouble. you'll notice that when they where doing bad, 3D became a rush again.

Same thing happening here.

hello ...

1- 3D is bound to happen now or later
2- SONY thinks the PS3 has the capacity of delivering such content - good for PS3 owners who wants 3D
3- SONY & other manufacturers are building 3DTV - well we need PCs & PS3s + Avatar 3D blu-ray + more 3D games (GT5) to use these TVs
4- No one is forced in going 3D, it may work or not, who cares, if you can't afford it let those who can afford decide if either they want it or not
5- Backward compatibility isn't an issue, i'm sorry i feel like it's a pretext, if you have PS2 games, you may also have a PS2 console, so what's the point ... ooh you want to sell it & buy a PS3 ...so go for PS3 games or keep both! now to those having a dead PS2 & upgrading to a PS3, i understand your views, yet if SONY can't re-enable (for now) PS2 BC (till the console disappears off the sales chart) it is because the old sista has still to give & people keeps buying it, it helps SONY make more money like all businesses! If people would stop buying PS2, i'm sure some miracle FW update would give back BC LOL ... well i don't have to cry about it, i have a phat with BC & ONLY 2 PS2 games (God of War 1 & 2) & recently got the HD Collection, with region limitations i don't want any PS2 games anymore ...
6- I feel like there are a lot of hypocrites among PS3 owners, not pinpointing anyone, but they keep bashing & complaining, go take your time & enjoy the console for what it can give you & be happy to obtain more functionality, those looking for pointless stuffs (cross-game chat - why !!!?, well OK why not after all!).

STOP complaining & live your gaming life to the MAXx ... & please people ..

Cheer out !

Dude,

3D has happened now, and it has happened twice before! I ask you, can you not see that once again when a company needs money that 3D is once again introduced? this time from a resession so all companys are getting some of the action.

Fair enough its good that they are making the PS3 capable of creating 3D images and all of that i'm not critising that. I'm saying that the 3D effect itself is not very good at all considering how much these companys want us to do to experience it. Samsung reckon we'll all go and buy new TV's?? Sony reckons we'll all go buying the NEW 3D blu-ray discs??

They really seem to think we're stupid. If the 3D effect was actually good enough to warrent all that money for a new TV and stupid glasses then fair enough. But its not.

This may sound a little stupid but when watching the Simpsons or Family Guy, can you really imagine every scene when they are infront of a TV wearing Glasses?

Relic said:

I thought he was referring to PS3 dropping backward compatibility for PS2 games on newer versions but adopting 3D games that very few could take advantage of vs PS2 games...

:confused:

Yah thats exactly what I was referring too. Sry I know the lacking of backwards compaibility is kinda an older issue now, but I am still pissed about it. And Sony keeps releasing new features for the PS3 and PSP (some of which are very nice), but they couldn't release some software emulation for ps & ps2 games? Instead they put their R & D into 3D b.s. that I (and many others) don't want to see. I have yet to see a 3D movie where the 3D actually enhances the plot line and feel of the movie. All the 3D has been is a gimmick. I don't believe that 3D games will be any better. All I will be left with is a head ache and strained eyes for a little flashier of games. At least poor that time and effort into making better games with good quality plot lines.

To people that think 3D is a "gag" used in the past and "flopped" have to remember that it was CRAP due to the technology at the time. Further dug into a grave by recent "3D" home DVD & BD releases that further perpetrate the stereotype of red/blue garbage 3D eye assignment.

FINALLY **real** 3D is coming for home use - where the 3D is REAL and CRISP and FULL COLOR... like in IMAX 3D or RealD or any of the most recent true-eye-assignment delivery systems. Discrete left-eye & right-eye frame delivery, via LCD shutterglasses in sync with the discrete frames on the screen. This ISN'T your 1970's 3D... where they tried and failed.

Anybody who has seen Avatar 3D knows that it takes cinema to a whole new level. Now think of enjoying the same 3D on a 65 inch television in your living room, watching from 8 feet away. We've had surround sound for years, but have watched flat movies. This is the next logical step in home theatre technology.

As for GAMING - I've already experienced it for the past year. Call of Duty 4 and World At War (amongst about 100 other games) are playable in 3D via the kit sold (for PC) on www.ddd.com. I bought the kit shortly after I bought my Samsung 67" DLP... and it ROCKS. You wouldn't believe how awesome to suddenly be immersed in all your maps - suddenly rendered in real 3D. I prayed that Xbox360 would simply become capable via a firmware update and using HDMI output, with a synced glasses accessory. Looks like Sony is going to lead the charge.

It won't be a fad. Once you game in 3D, you'll never go back to flat. I can tell you from experience. The only thing making be go back to play COD4, WaW on Xbox360 is the ease and awesomeness of Xbox Live.

They really seem to think we're stupid. If the 3D effect was actually good enough to warrent all that money for a new TV and stupid glasses then fair enough. But its not.

You don't know what you're talking about. It *IS* definitely good enough. I've owned the 3D Kit from www.ddd.com for a year now. I play Call of Duty 4 and World At War in *true 3D* in 1080p on my Samsung 67" DLP screen. You wear syncronized LCD shutterglasses. Each eye is given a discrete 1080p (1920x1080) frame 60fps + 60fps . . . the game looks like a perfect BluRay image, steady and full color, and everything is a natural scene as if you were looking through your own eyes. They are, after all, first person shooters.

Soon we'll be able to have special 3D BluRay versions of Avatar and such...where the video stream is two parallel 1080p framesets (one for each eye). None of this single stream red/blue tinted crap, where you wear 10cent cardboard glasses. It's a whole new ballgame.

I've had this 3D in my living room since January 2009. It absolutely rocks. I just wish that there was supporting 3D movie releases to back it up. So far, I've only done gaming. I'm waiting for the discrete dual-eye BluRay discs to break out. Sony might just make that happen soon enough. I can't wait. I bought the TV strictly due to its 3D capability for the near future. Glad to see it's soon on its way.

Guest said:

Anybody who has seen Avatar 3D knows that it takes cinema to a whole new level.

Ha Ha! yeah right. I have been there! I have also seen it! Unless my eye sight really did deteriorate dramatically since november 7th and the day after Avatars launch. It really doesn't enhance anything!

I do not know about 3D gaming, I can see it being awesome but It looks soo sweet without 3D and without Stupid glasses it seems pointless to upgrade?

I do agree that the tech that powers the new 3D is a lot better than the old blue & red glasses but it still doesn't work. Its just allowed the picture to be slightly more detailed?

When I try the 3D gaming then I will post my experience so at the moment I can only agree that 3D gaming is probably awesome. But I bet you cannot game for hours having to wear glasses the whole time?

For all you dumb f@cking geeks out there most 3D TVS that are getting released soon WILL NOT need and glass to watch them!
So do some research before posting a thead!!!!!

You should probably do some research of your own, "Guest." The majority of 3D televisions that are being released for now and the near future do indeed require 3D glasses, high speed shutter types or polarized units. Basically all of the "no glasses required" units out there are either prototypes or are ridiculously expensive (and often have limitations).

See, someone who has been actually following the technology for years (and probably reading about alot of it on this site) would probably know that. Ironic, you spouting off about others not doing research and you being the one guilty of that?

Here's a few places to start your reading:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/18/3D.home.television/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_television

hello burty117...

i know 3D happened, i had a shutter glass with my Voodoo GFX card, the idea was great but not polished so yes, wasn't good & i got rid of it.

you don't seem to know about things, you are sure you know about things. i'm not criticizing you but yet if you re-read your post you'll see that you keep bashing & complaining & forecasting it will not work.

come on! it's not sure it will work, but people have choices, the companies will always try to come up with things that seem cool, they spend a lot of money to make more, it's business.

no one is forcing you to buy the 3DTVs or use the feature, so why do you complain, as if you would lose something out of it, cheer out dude ..

i don't feel like there's a real point to argue.

1 side: 3D lovers, other side: haters so it's like for everything else!

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back