3DMark 11 tech demo released, third quarter launch expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With both major GPU camps now shipping DirectX 11 products, Futuremark Studios is preparing to roll out a new version of 3DMark with support for the latest standard. To build up some hype for the launch, the company has just released a "Deep Sea" video tech preview of MSI-branded submarines exploring the depths of dark waters.

The teaser is visually impressive, showing Futuremark's DirectX 11 engine running within an early build of 3DMark 11, complete with tessellation, depth of field, volumetric lighting, DirectCompute, and multi-threading in use:

The popular synthetic benchmark is often used in video card reviews around the Web (including our own), so its release, set for the third quarter, should make some noise. Pricing is unclear at this point, though a free version is expected. 3DMark Vantage, the version that is presently available, costs $6.95, $19.95, and $995 depending on the edition.

Permalink to story.

Certainly looks better than the undersea film from the Gulf of Mexico...maybe BP should ask MSI for a loan of the submersibles!

My computer is struggling to run the video at steady frame rate let around render it real time.

When you say "3DMark 11 tech demo released", you expect a downloadable demo that you can run, not a movie posted on YouTube...

Wow, that's amazing. A curly wall and some rust. I'm impressed. /end sarcasm

In other news, an entire generation of young overclockers will now have to upgrade their video cards again to triple GTX 480 SLI, just to run this benchmark smoothly, since it's all they do anyway. Really, Nvidia and ATI should be kissing Futuremark's feet for constantly driving up their sales.

*suit on

OK, i am now looking forward to a game engine that actually uses DX11! That looks fantastic! and if early rumors are to be true, Nvidia might be the way to go! (please note i'm not an nvidia fan, please do not slaughter me like one) :p

I mean a game engine that is built from the ground up primarily based around the DX11 API.

Look at the lighting and textures in that video! thats insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back