4 GB DDR2 800 MHz or 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz?

By MoseCP
Nov 12, 2009
  1. I am looking at a new system for general word processing, internet, and accessing databases on a network. I am under the impression that DDR3 is better and faster (1066 MHz). However, when pricing systems am I better to go with the 4 GB DDR2 or 2 GB DDR3? Less memory, newer technology, and faster clock speed. The system will only need to last 3 years before another upgrade.

Am I better off going with the 4 GB of the the older RAM or 2 GB of the newer DDR3?
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hey Mose,
    you will not notice a performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for the purposes you stated, so 4 gb of the DDR2 make sense. and if you are going to upgrade in three years then you will undoubtedly be building or buying a new system anyway, so the DDR3 you would purchase now would have no place in an upgrade three years from now anyway.
  3. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

4GB DDR2 would be the best option if you're not looking to upgrade to components that only use DDR3 in the near future.

+1 red.
  4. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

i second that
  5. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Like the others said, you probably will not notice much difference in speed between 800 and 1066. I personally would get the DDR3 because I like to have max specs and I would also put in another 2GB of DDR3. I would also build a PC and not buy a prebuilt.

The DDR2 may work best for your road map however.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.