4 GB DDR2 800 MHz or 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz?

By MoseCP
Nov 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking at a new system for general word processing, internet, and accessing databases on a network. I am under the impression that DDR3 is better and faster (1066 MHz). However, when pricing systems am I better to go with the 4 GB DDR2 or 2 GB DDR3? Less memory, newer technology, and faster clock speed. The system will only need to last 3 years before another upgrade.

Am I better off going with the 4 GB of the the older RAM or 2 GB of the newer DDR3?
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,888   +85

Hey Mose,
    you will not notice a performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for the purposes you stated, so 4 gb of the DDR2 make sense. and if you are going to upgrade in three years then you will undoubtedly be building or buying a new system anyway, so the DDR3 you would purchase now would have no place in an upgrade three years from now anyway.
  3. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

4GB DDR2 would be the best option if you're not looking to upgrade to components that only use DDR3 in the near future.

+1 red.
  4. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

i second that
  5. teklord

teklord TechSpot Maniac Posts: 523

Like the others said, you probably will not notice much difference in speed between 800 and 1066. I personally would get the DDR3 because I like to have max specs and I would also put in another 2GB of DDR3. I would also build a PC and not buy a prebuilt.

The DDR2 may work best for your road map however.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.