$55 extra to go from e6300 to e6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

the place where i get my parts from has the e6400 processor on special, do you recon I should go for the e6400 instead of the e6300 which I had initially planned to purchase?

System specs are as follows
CASE/PSU = Antec sonata II with 450W smartpower PSU
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E6300/e6400 Conroe
MOBO = Intel DP965LT
Graphics Card = Gigabyte 7600GT silent pipe II
RAM = Legend 2 x 1gb 800mhz 240pin
HDD = Western Digital Caviar 250gb 7200rpm
DVD Burner = LG 16x dual layer
DVD reader/cd burner = LG Combo Drive
Floppy = Panasonic
Monitor = Samsung Syncmaster 753s (maybe I will upgrade to LCD soon)
Mouse = Microsoft Optical Scroll
Keyboard = Standard Microsoft Keyboard

If you reply, I would appreciate it if you could say why you said whatever you said. As always, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

F1N3ST said:
That card is very big, takes up 2 slots so dont plan on SLI
FYI, most SLI boards have quite a distance(one or two PCI expansion slots in between) between the two PCI-E 16x interfaces. SLI is very possible.

Also; I don't think that board has two PCI-E slots anyways.

If it was me, I would go for the better processor. The only reason I can give is I always go for the best processor I can reasonably afford. If you want better performance, you get a better processor, that simple.

Or you can save those bucks, and overclock the e6300 to e6400 levels. Just take care of the extra heat (not too much, since it's a 65nm CPU), and you're good to go :)

You have a good PSU, that shouldn't matter.

Thanks for your reply, I don't want to overclock because apparently it voids your warranty(?) can anyone confirm this? If I do overclock I would need better cooling etc too, so it may perhaps be best to just go for the 6400. The question is however, is my CPU ot bottlenecked by any of my other components?

Regards,

Korrupt

Yes, overclocking voids your warranty :(

And no, I don't think it will be severely bottlenecked, maybe just a little (probably not) by the 7600GT.

Go with the 6300 and put the extra $55 towards your LCD monitor. I doubt you would notice much, if any, difference between the two cpu's. The 6300 is more than powerful enough to handle what you are going to throw at it. You would notice a difference if you went to a 6600, which has 4MB of L2. But it's considerably more expensive.

btw - happy belated Birthday! Hope you enjoyed your day and didn't wind up doing this!puke:

I agree with Nickslick74. Maybe you won't notice too much difference. And that way you can start saving for your LCD.

You can get a pretty good LCD for under 200 bucks, like the Samsung Syncmaster 730b :) I have it and it's great.

Thanks for your reply,

I will buy the e6300 then if there is no noticable difference between the two.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back