60 percent of Americans don't trust Facebook to keep their data private

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A recent poll conducted by the Associated Press-CNBC shows that Facebook has a long way to go in earning the trust of their users. Nearly 60 percent of people questioned had little or no trust in Facebook’s ability to keep their personal information private.

36 percent of those polled had a favorable opinion of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg while another 30 percent didn’t have an opinion one way or another. Nine percent had never heard of him and 11 percent didn’t know or refused to answer. That said, only 18 percent of people were confident in his ability to run Facebook.

On the topic of Facebook’s continued success, 43 percent felt that the social network will continue to be successful. The majority of people, 46 percent, felt that the company would eventually fade away as new things come along to replace it. These people seem to feel that Facebook is the next MySpace in terms of popularity.

With regards to the pending initial public offering that could take place as early as this week, half of those polled felt the company was overvalued. Despite this, 51 percent of Americans felt that buying shares in Facebook would be a good investment.

Overall, only 51 percent of respondents had a favorable opinion of the company while 23 percent felt an unfavorable feeling. Tech giants Apple, Microsoft and Google all scored a 71 percent favorable opinion in the same poll.

Data from the poll was collected between May 3 and May 7, 2012 via 1,004 telephone interviews. The margin of error for the survey is plus or minus 3.9 percent.

Permalink to story.

The title is mega miss leading its not 60 percent of americans its 60 percent of the[LEFT][FONT=Verdana] 1,004 people surveyed by telephone. If that is how you claim its what 60 percent of americans say then you can say that about racism if you do a survey about how many americans are racist you could get 60 percent of the 1,004 people being racist then you would say its 60 percent of americans are racist, which I bet infact is not true![/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]a title can be very miss leading if not written right.[/FONT][/LEFT]

It is 60 percent of americans - you don't seem to understand how polls work.

I wonder how many of that 60 percent still use it despite not trusting it? How many will actually have principle to abandon their imaginary "friends" and end the attention*****fest once and for all...?

The biggest issue with sites like faecebook is not the constant spector of your "private" data being leaked/hacked due to poor security practices, software bugs, etc, but the fact that this company is "farming" you for your data - which you are only too happy to give - and which it sells on to third parties.

People actually trust Facebook? Well ****.

Deactivated my account months ago. Felt a little safer since.

I have never made an account on a social network site, I would sooner be better off giving a copy of my diary or phonebook out ot random people on the street essentially it is the same thing..

I have never trusted Facebook which is why I have never created a Facebook account. How come they never poll me?

After all the well documented instances on a consistent history of deception, to me it's worrisome that there's a 40% who DO trust Facebook about privacy issues.

PC nerd said:
People actually trust Facebook? Well ****.
You did - you made an account.
PC nerd said:
Deactivated my account months ago. Felt a little safer since.
Too late - they have your data... good luck.
Guest said:
After the 3rd privacy fiasco, I deleted my account. Problem solved.
No, problem not solved... I'm surprised it took you no less than three "privacy fiascos" though...?

I find it ironic how people don't trust it but still keep an account. Personally I don't mind a little exposure, I keep my settings on private levels, use and enjoy the service to keep up with friends but there's nothing there that I want to be kept a real secret.

Statistics lie..This is a fine example.
I wouldn't doubt that 60% of Americans don't even use Facebook
As someone else stated it's 60% of 1,000 some callers, that doesn't translate to all American's, unless you use fuzzy math that pollsters are so fond of.
If you don't trust it , don't put anything important on it

Yeah statistics lie, there were WMD's in Iraq, God created Earth 5000 years ago and the US govt is working for the benefit of its people.

Stupid americans o.O

Back