~70 processes at Windows startup, virus or something else?

Hi all,

When I boot my computer and check the processes, there are 67 upon startup and then it hovers around 80 during normal use. I have 9gb of ram, so my computer can handle it, but this is still way to many.

I have tried going to msconfig and unchecking many of the programs, but this is not helping much. I've also done multiple virus scans and they do not pick up anything. Is there anything I can do to reduce my processes? It really annoys me when I see that I have so many running right when I start my computer...

Thanks

Hi Meth,
you can certainly go into task manager, and start up manager and 'clean up' and shut down unnecessary processes if you want (just make sure you understand what you are shutting off) however 67 processes is not an unusually high number to have running at startup.
a good rule of thumb is to leave the windows processes alone unless you really know what you are doing. The rest of them from installed programs are up to you to decide. You can google any that you don't recognize and get an explanation of what they are and if they need to be running at startup...or at all, such as update programs that just about every program slips in there, but again, 70 processes is nothing to be freaked out about, just managed.

Back