TechSpot

8 Step: with logs, details inside

By fluffykitten
Jan 31, 2011
  1. Malwarebytes log
    GMER log
    DDS logs: both DDS.txt and Attach.txt

Complaint: very slow, no virus appears to be present or other malicious code. HDD was near full capacity when I received it, currently 5GB free space now. After running the current programs associated with the 8-step, some improvement is noticed, not completely fixed.

Attached Files:

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

You've had a lot of post but not many replies. Most have been system or network-related. We require all the logs to be pasted in, not attached. It is too time consuming for the malware helpers to try and copy and paste anything they need to identify. With a pasted log, we can search directly from out browser.

As was the case previously, your description does not sound like malware, but I will check the logs after you paste them in. You can use multiple posts for the logs if you need too, bu make sure they are all in this thread.

Edit: I took a quick look at you logs and can say with confidence that the system is slow because you have too many processes starting on boot and running in the background. Although you freed up hard drive space by uninstalling some of the programs, if there isn't enough RAM, then you need to take everything off of the Start menu except the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and possibly network process is using Pure Networks. Nothing else needs to start on boot!

The more you have starting, the slower the load time, the slower the shutdown time. Then after you surf a while, you pick up additional files. that will slow you down. I won't rule out malware yet, but I think I went through this with you previously. You are trying to run everything on an old computer that doesn't have much of what it needs to run well!

And by the way, the McAfee Security Suite puts a ton of processes on to run it. You would do better getting Stand Alone security instead.

3. fluffykitten

fluffykitten TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 99

I will past the logs in next time, ok. Thanks for taking a look at the logs, I really haven't gone through it much at all, just automatically did the 8step tutorial to start off. I agree about the start menu, ill reduce it down to av only. thanks for the advice, this and the last computer were not mine, just a couple friends that wanted me to look at, i then come here :)

I used msconfig, disabled a lot of the start menu programs.

Is this the right course, a better way to do this, it still seems sluggish at splash, loading, shutting down even a bit.

4. Bobbye

If you suspect malware this is the right course. But keep in mind that the amount of installed RAM, Hard Drive size and number of running processes can all contribute to what you described. In addition, the system has to have regular maintenance to keep it running well.

I was not looking for malware in your logs. I remembered you from previous thread and that you are a bit short on troubleshooting experience. Whenever anything goes wrong on a system, many just 'assume' it's from malware. But that is not always the case.

5. fluffykitten

Yes I did jump straight to that, I would always think some malware is around.

I made a mistake, I ran combofix. the blue cmd box running. I went to click on a icon and received a error

"Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

It says this on everything, firefox and every file on the computer, I get this error, I really messed up, I restarted and still get the same error.

6. fluffykitten

"Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion"

7. fluffykitten

no applications work, same error message (bump) nothing has changed since answer #5

8. Bobbye

Please do NOT bump a thread because you didn't get an instant reply! This thread isn't even 24 hours old yet. I am helping other members also.

I cannot do anything until you paste the logs in. And again, I think I will reach the same conclusion. The system has been sounding like a mess since you began all your threads. My best suggestion to you is to reformat and reinstall the OS.

9. fluffykitten

sorry, you were right around this current system, probably didn't have much malware or virus but I did mess it up further by running "combofix" ...

Everything was running much better. Now I cannot open any documents, files without that error I posted above. I will be patient, I do not have any other logs, do you want the current logs pasted in.

My other post were in regards to my own system about network/System problems.
    This machine isn't mine and now I feel that none of the data is recoverable, none of the other post are related to this post.

10. fluffykitten

11. fluffykitten

malwarebytes log is too big to post

illegal operation attempted on a registry key error comes up when I try to reload combofix, that is the program I ran after those logs, I have no log for combofix and I know you never told me to run this, this is when the errors came and unable to open anything after so I will be patient and I would like not to do a clean install yet, he has a lot of files, documents that he would not like to lose.

thanks for the help so far, I know I really made it difficult.

12. fluffykitten

Everything is back to normal, I was able to fix the error

was able to use System File Checker, in safemode, reboot into normal mode and everythinbg is back to normal.

sorry for my panic ocd post, no reply.. panic more! bump a post..

I have changed the start menu programs with msconfig, and changed to a not so heavy AV.

13. Bobbye

Please tell me if there are any malware related problems.

14. Bobbye

Due to inactivity, thread is being close.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.