8800gt OC2 same as OC'd regular 8800gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

I'm trying to build a reasonably priced SLI machine. I currently have 1 BFG 8800gt OC2 512mb card, i could buy another but i was wondering if i got a run of the mill 8800gt and OC'd it, would it be the same. The lowest i see 8800gt OC2's is $160 and the normal 8800gt's at around $100.

i was also wondering if a 550W Rosewill PSU would be sufficient enough to run two 8800gt's

your help is much appreciated,

-pingpongmury

550W Rosewill PSU
Rosewill powersupplys have very bad quality, even if it can run your cards, it might not last long.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010320058 50002177 113142556&name=501 - 600W
exactly which powersupply is it, there are about 10 rosewill 550's.

Yes, the cards are the same, though I think you will have to find an older 8800gt and not a 9800gt, those are actually getting quite rare as they are all being replaced by 9800gt's. If your new card can't stay stable at the same speeds as the one you have now, I think you should clock it down to match.

says it's SLI & Crossfire Ready...
Just like those email's say you win $100,000 USD ^^.
I would not recommend powering two 8800gt's, and to be honest, it might not last too long either. Rosewill powersupplies are not known for their reliability.

Anyway, in the customer reviews, some claim to be SLIng 8800's, but I would still recommend a new powersupply.
SLI is only good for higher resolution gaming, for the 8800, maybe 1680 x 1050+.

But yes, to answer your original question, getting a second 8800 should work if your motherboard and powersupply can support it.

a few antec(earth watt series models), ocz, pc power and cooling, seasonic, for your 650 pwr requirement range of two cards.

ok.. i'll take a look... i've also been recommended Enermax as a good quality PSU... are they as well?

i noticed in your pc specs that you have 12gb of RAM.... are you running vista? if so how did you raise the maximum supported RAM of 4gb?

disregard the RAM question.... asked before i googled... lol

Ah, yes please do use the edit button, its great.

Yes, enermax is a good brand, though I think they are used less than some of the popular brands, but yes, enermax is great.

a few antec(earth watt series models), ocz, pc power and cooling, seasonic, for your 650 pwr requirement range of two cards.
I would say a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail or a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
, they are almost the same powersupply, but the 650 is more powerful and costs the exact same $90 with optional $20 mail in rebate.

Going back to the main original question, I wouldn't recommend getting a slower 8800GT card seeing as how the OC2 version is factory OC'd, it might not let you SLI them due to the different clock speeds. And if it did, I wouldn't recommend overclocking that much. During a manufacturing process, the chipsets produced are tested for speed, and the ones that pass the test get passed off for OC versions, atleast that's what I heard, so a regular card might even not be able to handle the higher speeds, and I wouldn't recommend underclocking the OC card either, but again, my logical guess is that it probably wouldn't let you SLI them in the first place.

Yes people here are all correct. I say listen to him, don't do it. Rather just chill a while and then when prices go down get a GT260 or something. With another GT card on the side you will get 2500 3dmarks more ,, That is not double the performance, thats called a ripoff... soo ya, no need for SLI, wait a bit then upgrade,,gl

I agree with tweakboy, SLI isn't what people think it is. It does not double your performance, but gives you a mere 30% performance increase pretty much at most, so it is wiser to get a better card in the first place rather than SLI them, because it's simply a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back