9800GT & 4670 250 watts PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

Hey guys, i guess everyone already knows that i do not buy video cards that require connectors, so i am planning to buy these 2 cards:

9800GT its the low power version, so it does not require a PSU connector
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr981024gtge.aspx

Visiontek 4670

The 4670 says is draws 59w, while the bfg i have no idea, but i sent in a note asking them, so i hope to hear from them soon. But i was curious would a 250 PSU work from a emachine for those cards?

If not, i have other choices i will get, i only deal with low profile to mid range cards anyway, so i have alot choices to choose from.

The 4670 is a safer buy. eMachines' PSUs are notorious for being of rubbish quality; you don't want it blowing and possibly killing other components. This is especially possible if the PSU has been used regularly for a long time (1-2 years or more), in which case I'd advise a new PSU.

I'd recommend a 400 watt power supply, which would give you enough room for the cards, as well as upgrades for the future, IF you plan to keep using low power/low profile cards. Maybe something from Antec in the Earthwatts line.

I would not use the eMachine power supply regardless of what else you did... The motherboard will not take much change either...
I would wait until you can get a better machine before you spend much money. There is no Desktop since the Packard Bell which has a higher failure rate... When they fail, they faile big-time and usually no fixes are possible... Adding extra power hungry devices seems to rush them along to early failure.

No! Do it yoseff... It requires only four screws... and there is nothing you can screw up... It will make you a better and smarter computer user... and you risk nothing.

Best Buy is the worst place to get any computer parts IMO. Horrendously overpriced. You can actually find the EA650 at Walmart for the same price as the EA500 at BB.

I advise getting a PayPal debit card and using that to buy online (they're accepted wherever MasterCard is accepted). It'll save you money and is safer than using a credit card.

Well i only plan to shop online at newegg , unless i see something i really want.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, but i am just going to skip on the upgrading my PSU. Unless i really have too.

So let me ask this question, how much does the 4650 1GB draw?
If the 4650 is too powerful, i found a Diamond 4550 with 512MB and GDDR3 memory, it says the 4550 only draws 25w, the same as my 2400HD.

And what about the 9600GT, is that less power from the the 9800gt. I found a MSI 9600gt non power required at newegg?????

Yes, the 9600GT does draw less power compared to the 9800GT. Not too much lesser though.

However, I still wouldn't use a decent PCI-E card like that with that PSU installed. You're just asking for trouble.

You can go for the HD 4550, but it's a rubbish card for games, and the 9600GT is vastly superior to it.

Not wanting to use PCI-E connectors just means you will always be playing games at low framerates. Just get a new good-quality PSU with a PCI-E connector and a decent card like the 9600GT or HD 4830 and be done with it IMO.

You can go for the HD 4550, but it's a rubbish card for games
Keep in mind, a solid 20-30 at high to max settings at 1280x1024 is perfect for me.

Not wanting to use PCI-E connectors just means you will always be playing games at low framerates.

Low framerates to you or other people maybe. But lets not go over this again.
Anyways, looks like i will be buying the 4550 gddr3 card and the galaxy 9500gt with gddr3 also. For my very first 2 pcie cards, should be a major performance boost over my 8400gs and 2400 pci.

Just get a new good-quality PSU with a PCI-E connector and a decent card like the 9600GT or HD 4830 and be done with it IMO.

Thats ok, but i will pass. I never plan to buy any high end cards ever, so the 4830 lol no.

Btw, when i have to change my PSU, i am going to buy the bfg like hellokitty said. I might buy it sooner, just for a spare.

peace

If you're going to buy the bfg psu dont save it for a "spare" piece. Replace your old psu, capacitor aging is an issue with all psu's and the one that came with your pc is rubbish. Just think of this scenario. You put in your "newer" vga, it pulls more power, overloads the psu, then you get the silent smoke of death, now you've burned out your mobo, ram, and possibly more, now all you have is what, some hdd's and a bfg psu, lol.

Just replace it.

Ok you guys are saying oem machines or whatever have bad PSu, but thats may because you guys use high end or whatever cards, i mean i don't have my Pentium III gateway with 90watts anymore, because i gave it to the one of my friends, but the PSU on it still works and its 2009 and its been going since 2000. And i have use a 8400gs and 2400hd and other cards in it.

Ok you guys are saying oem machines or whatever have bad PSu, but thats may because you guys use high end or whatever cards, i mean i don't have my Pentium III gateway with 90watts anymore, because i gave it to the one of my friends, but the PSU on it still works and its 2009 and its been going since 2000. And i have use a 8400gs and 2400hd and other cards in it.
I might not agree that you will need to replace your power supply as millions of customers use similar or worse powersupply, but we are trying to avoid a disaster. And it is a fact, they do suck :/. I have four computers now, three don't have a graphics card and this one has a 9600gt (this is low end gamer, anything lower than that is not for gaming, they are for watching videos, and playing your screensaver).

The Dell Dimension 2400's were built tin 2004, and had 230 watt power supplies designed for a basic rig with integrated video graphics, integrated ethernet, modem, 40 to 80 GB hard drive, CD-RW, 2 GB maximum memory, CPU fan, and one rail power supply.
When you upgrade to PCI video graphics card, 250 GB hard drive, and DVD-RW, you put the motherboard at risk.
The power supply simply is not adequate, and you can easily destroy the motherboard. It is the same for the 2200, 2300, 2350, and 3000. We have sure seen a number of them come through our shop dead beyond repair... requiring a new motherboard and power supply at a combined cost of $140 plus $65 tech time.
The 2400 is a very fundamental unit designed as a "home basic" computer. When you upgrade your video graphics and DVD player, you get what you pay for.

Well folks, i finally found what i am going to buy:

Evga just release a low super low 9600gt pcie card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...OPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp

and for the radeon card, well i have 2 choices , a 4550 or 4650. So i guess whatever i see first, i will grab it. Most likely i am going to get the 4550, only because it draws less power.

for my first 2 ever pcie cards, should give me decent performance over my pci cards.

peace

The 4670 is slower than the 9600GT, but not by much. It trades blows with the 9600GSO.

@The General, if you want a 9600GT, look for one that has a 600MHz core clock and 1500MHz shader clock; this low-power version will also be slightly more than an inch smaller length-wise compared to a reference 9600GT.

@The General, if you want a 9600GT, look for one that has a 600MHz core clock and 1500MHz shader clock;

Seems like the stats are better , OR slightly better.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...OPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp

Now i know the 4550 if i buy that only draws 25w, perfect. The 4650, i think it draws 48w, should be fine also. So the radeon card i have in place, however the nvidia card, the 9600gt is 40% lower in PSU , so i am just trying to get a card to match the 250 watts PSU i have.

Here is a image of my PSU, not sure if you read the stats on it:

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/83-114-066-14.jpg

Made in china, LOL!

You're ignorant, PSU's don't last, you are far better off buying a nicer one and going for a much faster video card with a connector that you can happily move to your next computer as well as the PSU itself.

Prices are down on some very speedy cards, enjoy!

Earthwatts PSUs are a good choice, using one myself.

I tried to run with a 400-450w PSU and it wasn't enough juice, let alone a suicidally low 250w, give it up.

CPU, fans, sound, USB components, hard drives, DVD drive, RAM and video card(s) all draw power, 250? CRAZY!

I ran both my 2400dh and 8400gs on my pentium III when i had that rig and it had 90watts , the same 90watts that shipped with the computer back in 2000 and yes the computer is still working btw. The 2400hd requirement is 270, but only draws 25, the 8400gs required is 300 or 350 and only draws 48w. The 9600gt should be just fine with my 250 watts PSU.

I already have a backup PSU, its 350, but i am buying a 500w or 450 soon also, but i want to keep the 250 in and just use low profile to mid range cards. You don't need the best hardware to enjoy gaming and you don't need the faster or fastest card to enjoy pc gaming.

20-30fps at 1280x1024 high to very high to max on any game is fine with me. Even tho with my rig now using pci cards, i get around 60 or most with my games.

It does say 15amps, but who knows, maybe chines manufactures read amps as average massive phail :haha:.

I already have a backup PSU, its 350, but i am buying a 500w or 450 soon also, but i want to keep the 250 in and just use low profile to mid range cards. You don't need the best hardware to enjoy gaming and you don't need the faster or fastest card to enjoy pc gaming.
EDIT: I'm not sure how that happens or the circumstances surrounding them, but I would return the 350, buy an Antec earthwatts 380 or 430, then buy myself a 4830, 4670, or 9600gt.

Badfinger please note hes trying to keep power consuption as low as possible in this post.

It is possible.. just tricky. your suggestion of an earthwatts psu was a hell of a good one though :)

Thanks for the help everyone, i have decided on what i am going to buy as my 2 first pcie cards and thats pretty much it. I will let everyone know what i buy. But keep something in mind, i am not interested in high end cards, never have been, i game just fine with low to mid range cards.

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back