A Blast from the Past: GeForce GTX 980 Ti vs. GTX 1660 Ti vs. RTX 2060

Julio Franco

Staff member
When I bought my Titan X there were so many people who told me I was wasting money and that I should have bought two 980Ti instead.

When I bought my Titan XP, there were so many people saying "o that's overkill" and I should have bought a 1080Ti instead. "No one needs all that memory".

NOW... despite the fact the RTX 2080Ti is $1300 - pretty much on parity with the cost of the Titan X and the Titan XP ...no one bothers saying the 2080Ti is overkill because for the most part, it's the only card that can get 60FPS or better in 4K on new games while ray tracing is on and maintains solid 2K scores while ray tracing is on.

The RTX Titan is priced so ridiculously high that it's out of the budgets for most.

Amazing how they get us to spend so much money for this stuff.

RIGHT NOW I am building a second computer and I'm on the shelf as to whether I should go with a 2060, 2070, 2080 or 2080Ti.

I can get the 2070 for $500. I can get the 2080 for $700 or 2080Ti for $1000.

I've seen NOTHING that justifies the price of the 2080Ti because most gamers who have gaming monitors have widescreen 2K monitors - and most are not running monitors in 4K. Most gamers are running their games in high settings but in 1440p (or less).

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably have not bought my 2080Ti and just gotten a 2080.

These games aren't very demanding.

I just spent the extra for "future proofing".

The 980Ti can't Trace Rays.

Case closed.

Now that Nvidia has basically invented a new setting meme, you can't brag about "running in maximum settings" without having something capable of Ray Tracing.

Nothing from the 980Ti to the Titan XP is good at Ray Tracing. You just gotta step up to the 2000 series.

I've been seeing plenty of evidence that says the 2060 is a better value than the 2070 and 2080 - and just about everything from the last generation.

Last edited:

Case closed.

Now that Nvidia has basically invented a new setting meme, you can't brag about "running in maximum settings" without having something capable of Ray Tracing.

Nothing from the 980Ti to the Titan XP is good at Ray Tracing. You just gotta step up to the 2000 series.

I've been seeing plenty of evidence that says the 2060 is a better value than the 2070 and 2080 - and just about everything from the last generation.
Ray Tracing is implemented in 2 AAA games so far. And the difference is hard to see.

And I'm still using a GTX 780... lol. No problems with VR gaming which is all I do now. I do have a 1080p 40" TV as my main display but I just don't game on it anymore. At this point I really have no reason to upgrade either as all my games run smooth. And I'm still running a i7 4770K. I'm running a dinosaur rig compared to many of you I'm sure.

Nobody in their right mind would pay $235 for a 980 Ti--buy a used 1070 instead. They sell for around $200 at the moment, use loads less electricity, and generate a ton less heat. And they're basically equivalent performance-wise, as shown in the article. How could the author miss this obvious conclusion?

When I bought my Titan X there were so many people who told me I was wasting money and that I should have bought two 980Ti instead.

When I bought my Titan XP, there were so many people saying "o that's overkill" and I should have bought a 1080Ti instead. "No one needs all that memory".

NOW... despite the fact the RTX 2080Ti is $1300 - pretty much on parity with the cost of the Titan X and the Titan XP ...no one bothers saying the 2080Ti is overkill because for the most part, it's the only card that can get 60FPS or better in 4K on new games while ray tracing is on and maintains solid 2K scores while ray tracing is on.

The RTX Titan is priced so ridiculously high that it's out of the budgets for most.

Amazing how they get us to spend so much money for this stuff.

RIGHT NOW I am building a second computer and I'm on the shelf as to whether I should go with a 2060, 2070, 2080 or 2080Ti.

I can get the 2070 for $500. I can get the 2080 for $700 or 2080Ti for $1000.

I've seen NOTHING that justifies the price of the 2080Ti because most gamers who have gaming monitors have widescreen 2K monitors - and most are not running monitors in 4K. Most gamers are running their games in high settings but in 1440p (or less).

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably have not bought my 2080Ti and just gotten a 2080.

These games aren't very demanding.

I just spent the extra for "future proofing".
I bought THREE Titan X cards just a few weeks before the 980Ti came out - was not amused at Nvidia...
Saying that, all 3 in SLI provided 2080Ti performance 4 years ago - was quite fun :)

I recently put them on eBay and bought a 2080Ti... my PC uses far less power and is much quieter - but doesn’t perform any faster.

Far less hassle now though, as triple SLI didn’t always play nice...

Thanks for this article! I just jumped from a 980 Ti to a factory overclocked 2070 and this article makes me feel even better about my decision.

The 980 Ti is one of the best value for the money over the long haul. Nvidia really hit it out of the ball park with that one. And this from a long time AMD user, only for the fact of NV "pricing".

Nobody in their right mind would pay $235 for a 980 Ti--buy a used 1070 instead. They sell for around $200 at the moment, use loads less electricity, and generate a ton less heat. And they're basically equivalent performance-wise, as shown in the article. How could the author miss this obvious conclusion?

#1 I would go no lower than the 2060 for now.

#2 The only other thing lower than the 2060 I would go for is a 1660.

The 980ti was the last time Nvidia sold a flagship at anything resembling a fair price. It was a good card, and as the stats show, it's held its own for a long time.

Nowadays the price of ti flagships is far too rich for me.

Vega56 for under £300 looks tempting to me if you can get one.
A little undervolt would narrow the power draw gap and enable consistent higher clocks if you're prepared to have a play with it.
And why wouldn't you if you're an enthusiast?

Great to see performance get cheaper. It would be interesting to see how these cards compare to the Fury X. I have a feeling the Fury X will have fallen a bit further compared to the 980ti compared to launch.

And I'm still using a GTX 780... lol. No problems with VR gaming which is all I do now. I do have a 1080p 40" TV as my main display but I just don't game on it anymore. At this point I really have no reason to upgrade either as all my games run smooth. And I'm still running a i7 4770K. I'm running a dinosaur rig compared to many of you I'm sure.

I have an old GTX780 in a micro ATX box under the TV - it can handle a vast library of stuff very well. There are very few developers who are pushing the hardware performance envelope. If you don't have a 4k monitor/don't play EA games, then it's hard to find titles that will push a flagship GPU.

Case closed.

Good thing most gamers couldn't care less about the to date nigh vaporware ray tracing implementation.

My 980tis consistently out-overclock and outperform my 1070 with few exceptions. And used 1070s cost about the same or more than 980Tis.

I have two 980Ti cards. I run them in SLI and they smoke most of the titles that I enjoy. I also have two GTX-1070Ti cards, and two GTX-1080FE cards. (all in SLI)
SLI really helps to speed things up if you have game support. That said, I just bought an MSI GTX-1060Ti for a Mini-ITX system for my wife.

This review was a good read. Thanks for taking the time to produce it.

When 2K resolution is the norm I might upgrade my GPU it is a GTX1070. 1080P on a 32 inch monitor I still cant see the pixels. only 6% of steam users play above 1080P. it is all about the cost to play.
I wont play EA games they treat the player poorly and just want your CC.

Back