Inactive [A] Cant open "Control Panel/My documents/My Computer/Internet/ect."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for opening!
A few days ago, i noticed that my computer was lagging a lot, and it said that i had a low virtual memory. I decided to do a system restore because i hadn't downloaded anything new on my computer in months. The act of restoring the system worked flawlessly, along with restarting the computer. I didn't reach a problem until i clicked on the internet. A few minutes after i opened the internet, a woman's health page opened up on my existing page. I thought it was weird and i disregarded it. I continued to install updates for Mozilla and updated all the cool new things Mozilla was now offering such as skins and plug-ins. (I'm only mentioning this because i don't know if the plug-ins, or skins could have given me a virus) I only downloaded 2 or 3 of the most popular, and the highest rated; i thought they were more trustworthy than others. Minutes after, a men's health page opened up on the page just like the woman's health one before. I knew something was up but i decided i should close the page and do some exploring on Google to see what i should do instead of exploring the pesty site. After i clicked exit, 5 pages of woman's/mens health pages came up. I closed the internet completely, and restored the computer once again (this time a few days prior to the original restore date) This proved to be DISASTROUS!

The system restore once again went smoothly, along with the restart. I went to open Mozilla knowing i would have to spend a tedious some odd hours "customizing" Mozilla once again. I double-clicked, and nothing... i did it again... and again. Finally i double clicked Internet Explorer, thankfully they sent an error report to ease my thoughts of me murdering my computer. Then i thought to myself, one more restore (this time to a later date) wouldn't hurt... but it didn't even let me go into "Control Panel/My documents/My Pictures/My videos/My Computer" basically everything. I then figured that i could restart the computer... didn't work... restarted it again... didn't work. I just gave up.

This was 3 days ago. I decided to give it one more shot. So i turned on the computer, same exact problems. Thankfully, Internet explorer must have received one of the error reports i sent and sent me a link to re-install internet explorer, I did it and was able to use the internet to Re-install Mozilla. Now that i can use my internet, i'm happy. But i still cant get into "Control Panel/My documents/My Pictures/My videos/My Computer" and all that, which is now making me worry that though I've gotten what i wanted, i haven't fixed the source of the problem, and a virus might still be eating at my computer.

I'm only 16 and i have literally no knowledge of computers or how to do this so, any help at all would be wholly appreciated because I'm at a loss. Please just tell me if you have ever experienced this, fixed it, or heard of it. I don't know much about virus scanning, but i know i have McAfee (i don't know if that's good) along with Norton(which i also don't know if it is good). I up for suggestions, so please pass along any helpful info, along with detailed directions of solving this issue. Sorry for the long-drown out info, but i thought i should include everything so i don't need to go over everything later on.

P.s. I have windows XP

Happy Holidays!
Thank you sooo much!

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back