A Chat With Video Game Composer Christopher Tin

Interesting read although I've never heard of the guy, only game music people I know by name are Uematsu and Soken...but hey, I love final fantasy.

Western devs generally haven't cared about music, but western devs were also very far behind Japan until just the last decade or so. Most gamers grew up playing Japanese games, and music has been a big part of those games the entire time.

I love Tin's "Baba Yetu" but the best Western composed games I can think of are DOS2 and Hollow Knight. With a runner up to that GBA tower defense game I forgot the name of, that was done by a Russian dev iirc. None of these are American games to my knowledge, so maybe they don't really count as Western in this context.

Japan has been doing those game concerts for ages and it's finally in the past several years gotten over to the US, I see fliers but haven't been to one yet. My own music collection is composed up primarily of video game music. There are also remixes and covers available. If you're a fan like me, there's a world of it to enjoy, and probably many others can talk about it. Are we going to see Western games begin more of that shift? Maybe. Also I should mention TW3 made efforts on their OST too, and it's another reason that game stood out. Not sure why most Western games won't do a real OST, they seem to prefer generic or license popular songs, less orchestral and more vocal stuff that usually fits a pop or alternative theme. VtMB is a cult classic that blew a huge budget just on their music, but it was mostly just using high priced licensed songs.

Back