Inactive [A] Files failing to open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday my computer was infected by a virus (win 7 Internet protection 2012 I believe) but with the help of a friend of mine who told me to 'trick it' into believing I purchased it and gave me a code I took care of that. I'm just mentioning this in case it might be of some relevance to my current situation.

Well, my computer is a laptop (dell inspiron 17r) with McAfee security and I make sure to do a full scan whenever I turn it on.

Today, I tried opening the snipping tool but the 'open with' window opened up instead. I tried opening paint instead, but the same thing reoccurred. I chose to browse and tried opening paint with paint, but an error warning would pop up saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSPAINT.EXE PAINT cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported." Same thing applies to any other program or file I try to open, I suspect a virus is at work but the McAfee scan doesn't find anything. Please help?

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

===========================================================

See if this will help....

Download and run exeHelper.

• Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
  • Attach the log.txt file to your next message.

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

Well I tried doing that, but this window popped up:
C:\Users\Downloads\exeHelper.com could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to a different location.

Also, McAfee pops up right afterwards saying it removed a trojan.

Download it on a computer you're posting from and move it to bad computer using USB flash drive.

I am actually posting from the affected computer. But I do have an update which I assume is positive. McAfee had its regular 'scan restart' and now some of the programs previously affected such as firefox and paint responded normally. Sticky notes are still not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back