A little help here pretty please

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellyman

Any advice or guidance on correcting this error would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure what I should try now, as I've already updated everything I know of. Attached is the debuglog.

Vista SP2 32bit
gigabyte ep43-ud3l mobo
intel E8400
gskill ddr2-1066 PC2-8500 2GBx2
xfx geforce 9800 gt 512mb gddr3 video

Thank you all in advance.

Jeff

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 5
Your error is 0xA and these are caused eithere by hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level that they shouldn't. The only thing your dump cited is a Windows OS drivers and these are usually too general to be of much help.

If you have any more minidumps then attach them to your next post but please don't zip each one individually.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it will be a hard one to fix, unfortunately. Attached is another dump, but it looks to be the same as the first, just a day apart. Any other suggestions on what I should try, or ways I can get better error descriptions?

Actually these can often be easy to correct but with so little to go on it could be anything at this moment.

What are you doing when these occur?

As Route44 notes, these can be pretty tough to narrow down sometimes.

Here's some general thoughts
1) See this MS KB. Even though it's about XP i think most of the suggestions will also apply to Vista
2) Running memtest diagnostic (at least 7 passes i'm told) would be worthwhile to at least rule out your memory as the culprit
3) How often does the problem re-occur? Point being if you could try running awhile after detaching and without any unnecessary devices you might see if you can narrow the problem down to association with specific devices.
4) And this is just a thought that occured to me.. Don't know if it'll help (or maybe someone else could comment on trying this?) but here's my thought:
>> The second parameter in a BSOD 0xA stopmessage is the IRQL (interrupt request level) at the time of problem
>> In both your logs your BSOD occured at IRQL=2
>> Run the msinfo32 tool on your computer. Then expand Hardware Resources->IRQs and see what devices are listed at IRQ 2. What's listed?

I checked and there is nothing listed under IRQ 2.

I have had my second computer blue screen with the same hardware as the previous machine in this thread. Attached is the dump which I think has a different error code.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I can try please let me know.

Your error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are a strong indicator of corrupted memory. However, they sometimes can be caused by drivers.

Do your PCs also have the same in software as well? What security software do they have in common? I had two PCs with different hardware, one was a Pentium 3 and the other a socket 939, and both Blue Screened even though they were different in every aspect except both ran Windows XP Pro and both had the Sunbelt Firewall. It was the same driver in both causing the issue. Thus my questions.

Thanks Route44:

Same hardware and same software. We are running, as it turns out, Sunbelt VIPRE Enterprise software on all of our machines.

We have 15 of these machines that are the same hardware and same software. Two machines have had bluescreens, although they are showing different errors, 0xA for the first machine and as you have stated 0x8E on the second machine.

0xA errors can be caused by either hardware issues or drivers attempting an IRQ Level they have no business doing so. Is it possible for you to attach your five most recent minidumps from one PC? We'll read them and then take a look at the second PC.

Here's the third and last minidump from the first computer. The first two minis are already in this thread.

It looks like a different error to me..., Not 0xA

0x00000027: RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
This is a rare and fairly obscure error condition; certainly the foirst time I've seen it here. Memory management issues can be one cause, and adding additional RAM commonly will resolve this version of the problem.

The driver cited mrxsmb10.sys is a Vista OS driver and I really didn't find much on it. Besides, OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help. However, this link may shed some light forr you. I am not suggesting this is the answer but it is one work-around one person found.

Link: http://www.itechtalk.com/thread2754.html

Thanks Route44 for your help. I think at this point I will just monitor the two machines and see if it persists since I don't have a clear solution. Maybe with additional dumps something will surface. Is there anything I can do to get better logging or debug information other than what I'm currently providing?

I am one of those here who like to read the minidumps. This is the standard answer I give concerning minidumps. So if you already know all this please forgive me.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

* Like I said, if you already know this then just attach in your next post and someone will read them.

* Also, if you find your system is stabilized or you find a fix please let us know. Such information is valuable and with such a rare error doubly so.

Sounds good Route44:

Attached are the minidumps for computer #1. I will post another post with computer #2.

For #1 you had 0xA errors and an 0x27 error citing the Vista driver mrxsmb10.sys I defined both of theses errors previously and these dumps only cited Vista drivers.

However, your fifth dump gave a defifinitive answer. It is error 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This is one of the strongest ereror codes that point to corrupted memory. Sure enough it listed corrupted memory.

For #2 3 of the dumps specifically cited memory corruption. One other simply cited Pool_Corruption and it was an 0x8E errors which are almost always caused by hardware and are especially strong indicators of corrupted memory.

I suggest you run Memtest on both PCs. If you have never done this before follow this links instructions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Memory has tested good. I also tried swapping the RAM slots from 1/3 to 2/4 to test the slots but still BSOD. At this point I'm assuming it's a bad MOBO. I really don't know what else to do or test.....

Okay, try the following. Do you know how to access the BIOS? If so, check to see if the motherboard set your RAM voltage at the required specs.

Also, what security software are you running?

Hey Route44:

Thanks again for your help on this. I did a few things regarding this issue. First I found an updated bios that stated (fixed memory compatibilities). Not sure if this addresses my problem or not but I first updated this. next I checked the RAM voltage in the bios and it is set to auto which is running at 1.8v. I checked the RAM chips (corsair) and the voltages are listed at (2.0v-2.1v) on the sides of the chips. So I went back into the bios and changed the RAM voltages from auto to manual and set the voltage to 2.0v. Maybe this could have been the issue running low voltages to the RAM, I don't know. I know I have 18 other machines with the same RAM and MOBOs so I guess they are all running low too but with no issues.

We are running Sunbelt Software VIPRE Enterprise on all machines for our security software.

Another issue that may or may not be related. I have two other users that have had issues with spontaneous rebooting which just continually reboots. At first I was swapping out power supplies which at first appeared to work but I think the real reason was heat. They have their moments even with new power supplies that they will do this. I have checked the reviews at newegg where I learned others have had this issue too. I have recently ordered another mainboard and have noticed the manufacturer (Gigabyte) has changed the heatsinks. I'm thinking there's a heat issue with the mobos.

Glad to help! :) If it is indeed a heat issue that would explain a lot because heat will shut down a system fast. You certainly have done some serious diagnostic and research work, i.e. BIOS upgrade to fix memory compatibilities, setting the memory voltage correctly, and learning about the Gigabyte boards.

We have seen more than our fair share in 2009 of RAM issues due to motherboards/BIOS not setting the voltage correctly. Thus my suggestion. A significant number of 0x8E, 0x50, and 0xA errors in minidumps would report it as memory corruption only to discover the RAM voltage was set wrong.

I would say as long as your other motherboards are not giving you issues you should be okay. Perhaps this one is just fickle.

Thanks for getting back to us with this information. As raybay rightly says, "We learn from you." This is good information for all to know.

Keep us up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back