A quick question about USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps being a bit narrow minded in my knowledge of current PC trends, but I am only now just hearing about the coming popularity of USB 3.0. I understand it allows for faster data transfer speeds and such. My question is as follows: will USB 3.0 make USB 2.0 completely obsolete anytime in the near future? I know Intel has said they won't support 3.0 in their chipsets until at least 2011, perhaps even 2012.

it's like USB 2 and USB 1 : same plug but not the same speed

plug drive usb2 on usb3 port, it will run not faster
plug drive usb3 on usb2 port, it will run at the speed of 480 Mbps

usb3 is 4.8 Gbps !!! but no bus can manage this for the moment....

The competition will decide how soon USb 3.0 unfolds, but you know it will happen very soon... Intel says it won't but you know they will follow the lead of ASUS and the rest.
We already have USB 3.0 cards in all our machines, and they were very low cost. Monoprice sells USB 3.0 cables in volume already.
A year from now, there will not be a new motherboard manufactured without USB 3.0. The fact that it is backwards compatible and cheap is an indicator that there is no reason for board manufacturers not to build it as soon as they can. Nothing will change on the assembly line except the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back