Absurd naming conventions (part 746 of a neverending series)

By dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD have released their new-ish graphics part numbers for systems that pair Llano APU’s with desktop discrete cards.

The standout seems to be HD 6530D or 6550D (APU) + HD 6670 (discrete) = HD 6990D2, which seems to either a huuuuuuge step up in hybrid crossfire, or a guaranteed source of confusion (at the very least).

An already mind-boggling and congested graphics market is about to hit eleven on the one-to-ten scale.

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

I'm going to hold you to that:D
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Topic Starter Posts: 4,891   +1,258

You're maybe under the impression that this will be the last of them? I'll take that bet. Intel and Nvidia's PR detachment's see this and I can see Optimus spawning a whole raft of GTX581, 582, etc...(they may go with decimals once they hit GTX599)
    Just out of interest, when was the last time a vendor added fifteen new product numbers (in addition to new SKU's) to their inventory/PR bullet-points on a launch day?
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hell no!...I meant keep brining them to the forefront.
    This can't possibly be to muddy the waters can it? I think the guys in the back room are just out of touch.
  5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Topic Starter Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Who knows?
    I wouldn't have thought the launch of Llano would need to muddy the waters. If anything, I would think the reverse would be true. The kind of people buying Llano would probably be mainstream OEM buyers and mainstream/budget DIY - the numbers are likely to be confusing (more confusing given Llano's SKU naming scheme) when all a great many of these people are after is an "unconfusing" straightforward system that doesn't require ubertech components or knowledge base.
    The OEM's on the other hand, would obviously relish a whole log table book of new "models"- but I would have thought that they would opt for more auto-based superlatives (GT, GTO), or maybe bring back XT, XTX etc. (can't have enough suffixes!)
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

Haha, if I could give you some form of rep for the thread title I would :).